Honored Contributor

Lenny's partner was not called Munch. I think that was another Law and Order.

Respected Contributor

John Munch (played by Richard Belzer) began his run on Homicide: Life on the Street. He then went on to Law & Order and concluded his career on Law & Order SVU.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

I like the show and their sometimes ethical dilemmas.

Sometimes it's scary, though, how they will go after someone with obscure ideas to get them on trial.

I know it's fiction, but I wouldn't like it in real life sometimes!

The Lenny Briscoe partner I was referring to is the actor who played on Sex and the City also.

Hyacinth

Valued Contributor

I am a huge fan of the original Law & Order and watch the reruns all the time.  (Jack McCoy and Lenny Briscoe are my favorites, also Ed Green (one of Lenny's many partners.)  The only personal stories I can think of are below.  Warning: they are Spoilers so if you don't want to know don't read them.

One of Lenny's partners was named Ray. ( I can't think of his last name.)  He was a straight forward guy who had strict morals.  He had a wife and three daughters and in one of the episodes he had an affair.  He was so distraught that he did this, he told his wife and she left him.  They did eventually make up, but the wife became very sick.  They moved to California and in one of the last episodes Ray comes back because his wife died, and he wanted to bury her with her family in New York.  He met up with Anita Van Buren and had a long talk with her.

On another note Anita Van Buren comes down with Cancer.  There is a whole story line about this, but she does beat it eventually. 

There was also one of Jack's ADA assistants who had a story line about a custody fight over her daughter with her ex husband who was a high powered lawyer trying to use the custody to win a case against her.  Those are the only personal story lines I can think of .

Honored Contributor

Re: Law & Order question

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I like the show and their sometimes ethical dilemmas.

Sometimes it's scary, though, how they will go after someone with obscure ideas to get them on trial.

I know it's fiction, but I wouldn't like it in real life sometimes!

The Lenny Briscoe partner I was referring to is the actor who played on Sex and the City also.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003. Chris Noth.  If you're interested, Wikipedia has the whole scoop on L&O from season one, listing all characters. The ones you are watching are not the series from the beginning. Chris Noth was an original from the beginning, but Lennie was not.

Honored Contributor

Wasn't there also a season or 2 with Fred Thompson as DA?  I never see those in re-runs either.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

@NickNack Serena Southerlyn asked an out of the blue question in her final scene as she was being fired.  "Is it because I'm a lesbian?"  I don't recall there ever being any mention or hint of it before, and it seemed like such an odd thing to throw in there as she was leaving  the show.

Edited to say the actress is Elisabeth Rohm.

@VanSleepy  That is really interesting.  What a random thing to say.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

you could try IMDB

or one of the many webpage devoted to the show and there are many :-)

you are going to be hooked 

Esteemed Contributor

I am a Law & Order fanatic. It's by far my favorite drama series. There were several spin-offs of the original, which is my favorite. The most well known spin-off is L&O SVU. My favorite character, Lenny Briscoe, was played by the incomparable Jerry Orbach. You may remember Jerry as the father in "Dirty Dancing," but his real claim to fame, before L&O, was as a great Broadway song and dance star.

There have been several DAs but my favorite was the first, Adam Schiff. There were far more assistant DAs. When the series was in its early years, several critics bemoaned the lack of women on the show. That's when the first female ADA came on board. It was hinted that she and McCoy were having an affair, but no such hints were presented with subsequent assistants. The police lieutenant role also went to a woman after a few years. S. Epatha Merkerson was terrific!

The pre-Lenny and the post-Lenny episodes are all worth watching, but the Lenny episodes are the best, regardless of the three different partners he had. The writing is first-rate and the audience is treated with respect, since some of the plots and points of law can be anything but simple. However, that's why Law and Order was such a great series. I watch the episodes over and over again because they're better than anything else I see on TV.

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

@NickNack Serena Southerlyn asked an out of the blue question in her final scene as she was being fired.  "Is it because I'm a lesbian?"  I don't recall there ever being any mention or hint of it before, and it seemed like such an odd thing to throw in there as she was leaving  the show.

Edited to say the actress is Elisabeth Rohm.

@VanSleepy  That is really interesting.  What a random thing to say.

Maybe done to explain why she never hooked up with her boss.

I think he slept with all his assistants previously