Respected Contributor

Re: Laverne and Shirley Marathon

[ Edited ]

@cookinfreak

I was wondering if that wasn't the reason for Shrley's absence. It's only been a few decades ago. I wonder if LaVerne ever moved back to NY? They were on TV for 6 years I believe. One of the ones we watched last night was La Verne was a jinx. lol. She didn't follow up on that chain letter..lol

@cookinfreakwrote:

@Leeny

Not sure if I have the correct story or not, but I think the Shirley character was not on a few episodes because Cindy Williams was pregnant. I may be totally wrong tho

cookin

Esteemed Contributor

I caught one episode last night. It was when Shirley was marrying someone other

than Carmine. It was pretty dumb. Guy had a rash and was wrapped up like a 

mummy.

Turned something else on after that. Enjoyed it more back in the day.

Honored Contributor

@Leenywrote:

My dh and I were watching a couple episodes last night and Shirley wan't on either one. LaVerne and her father and Carmine were on, but they were living in Hollywood? I didn't remember those episodes from years ago. Did anyone else see these?

I stopped watching the marathon Saturday night. It seemed like after many seasons, it lost it's fun. They started the marathon during season 5. I think when they ran out of storylines about the brewery, they moved to Hollywood. And toward the end of the Laverne and Shirley run, that Cindy Williams dropped out completely from the show. It was rather hasty. She got married and left with her husband. They also added a bombshell neighbor when they moved to Hollywood.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla

Yes, the dizzy neighbor was on, her name was Rhonda. I never knew these episodes even existed. I suppose since these were from the very last season I must have quit watching.

@drizzelllawrote:

@Leenywrote:

My dh and I were watching a couple episodes last night and Shirley wan't on either one. LaVerne and her father and Carmine were on, but they were living in Hollywood? I didn't remember those episodes from years ago. Did anyone else see these?

I stopped watching the marathon Saturday night. It seemed like after many seasons, it lost it's fun. They started the marathon during season 5. I think when they ran out of storylines about the brewery, they moved to Hollywood. And toward the end of the Laverne and Shirley run, that Cindy Williams dropped out completely from the show. It was rather hasty. She got married and left with her husband. They also added a bombshell neighbor when they moved to Hollywood.

Respected Contributor

I've read the cast didn't get along.  The "Happy Days" set was in the area, and they could hear the yelling and screaming!  Penny and Cindy have since patched things up.

Respected Contributor

Wasn't Cindy married to Bill Hudson? (Goldie Hawn's ex)

I really loved L&S but I know there was a lot of fighting between Cindy and Penny on set. The writing when the show first started was hilarious.

Honored Contributor

@DrKelliwrote:

Wasn't Cindy married to Bill Hudson? (Goldie Hawn's ex)

I really loved L&S but I know there was a lot of fighting between Cindy and Penny on set. The writing when the show first started was hilarious.

You are right. And Cindy Williams was pregnant and that is when she wanted out of the show.