Respected Contributor

Laurence of Arabia - HATE not "getting" a classic!!

Have tried to watch several times - finally recoded a director's vesion off TCM awhile back (4 + hours).

While I truly admire the cinematography (and close-ups of Peter O'Toole's glorious blue eyes and performance). just couldn't get into the plot or storyline.

Makes me feel like a simpleton.

Anyone else feel that way about a classic or highly praised film?

Denise
Honored Contributor

Re: Laurence of Arabia - HATE not "getting" a classic!!

I loved that movie but we'd had the book at home for years and I was familiar with the story.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/true-story-lawrence-arabia-180951857/ 

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Valued Contributor

Lawrence of Arabia is my all time favorite movie. I have seen it several times, and will watch it again. I also am a big fan of Peter O'Toole. It's about a British military man dealing with his own personal conflicts and leading the Arabs in their battle with the Turks. A very simplified description!

Respected Contributor

I saw it at the 70mm Cinerama theater in downtown Seattle, about 30 or so years ago.  It was broken up with an intermission in the middle. I remember it being spectactular to look at shown in the true 70mm that was (I guess) the original restored format, but I couldn't tell you much about the plot!

Esteemed Contributor

You are not alone.  I agree that it is visually stunning, but I have never particularly liked the film overall.  There is often shock on the TCM Message Boards when I mention this lack of interest.

Honored Contributor

It is a classic movie, maybe not everyone's cup of tea.  I've watched it more than once on TCM but IMO it is a movie that needs to be seen on a wide movie screen with a great sound system.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Oftentimes, after watching a movie at home, I'll look for an online plot summary.  Reading it, a lot of things make sense that didn't before.  Then, if I watch the movie a second time, I get a lot more out of it.

Respected Contributor

Agree with you about Lawrence.  I watched the entire thing - it really is a beautiful movie - but did not care for it.  Same thing with "The English Patient" several years ago.  Lord, that was dull.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I have never watched this movie all the way through. I’ve tried a few times, but I can’t get through it - not interesting to me. I love most old classic movies, but this one is not for me.