Trusted Contributor

I fell asleep and missed the ending, but read about it. I think that 2 hours is way too long for this crazy show. I can't believe that they are still on their honeymoon and couples are not wearing their wedding rings already. Do they think it will be easier when they get home and back to real life?

I think Jessica and Austin will be the only ones to stay together, but they really seem like good friends now, with benefits. They don't seem married to me.

I really would like to her a response from Taylor that does not include giggling, but I don't think that will happen. It sounds like nervous giggling, like she doesn't know what else to do, but, I guess with Brandon having such an explosive temper, maybe she is trying to keep things light and stress-free.

Meka sure has a list of rules, doesn't she? Kind of like Iris from last season, but she also reminds me of Deonna, who seemed so rigid and cold. I was happy to see that Meka actually has a lovely smile. I wish we would see it more. That whole relationship is just plain weird.

Mindy just needs to accept that her crappy husband just isn't into her and let it go. It won't help to have all those serious conversations. 

Super Contributor

Re: Last night's MAFS, anyone?

MAFS? What is that? You all seem quite comfortable, making up your own abbreviations, that no one else knows what you are talking about! Don't be so lazy, write out the whole word!

Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ - I'm watching this too! I do know some spoilers, but I will try not to let that influence my comments on the couples as of now.

I started out thinking Katie would be annoying, with the "ex-boyfriend" thing. I thought that would rear its ugly head every episode. But I think she fell hard for Derek, who is a sweetheart, and I have high hopes for them.

Mindy and Zach are struggling with the "attraction" thing. I imagine with Zach being the way he is with his hair and such, he has had no problems dating. But in the beginning he talked about the heart being more important than looks, and his wedding vows were really something. I keep telling myself - look at Jamie and Doug from Season One. No attraction there initially - and look where they are now!

Taylor and Brandon - You're right about his temper. I was skeptical about them from the beginning because their education levels are so different, although I have seen that work. Last night she was bothering me with all of the picture taking, and when she wouldn't put her phone down when he was talking to her - one of my pet peeves!

Jessica and Austin - Just adorable! I think they have a chance. They're both, as Austin says, "weirdly nerdy," or something like that. They make each other laugh, and they seem to have a lot of chemistry.

Meka and Michael - She's WAY too controlling, and he's WAY too camera shy. What did he think was going to happen on a TV SHOW BEING FILMED??? I would have no patience with someone like her, and it seems she doesn't like to compromise. In Season One Vaughn had a problem with the cameras too.

I do like all of these couples as individuals, and I have hopes for them resolving their differences. But I also know the show is somewhat scripted, and the brides and grooms are "coached" to act a certain way. Some of them are on the show just to get publicity. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Tangocash - MAFS is "Married at First Sight." It's on Lifetime on Wednesday nights. It's been on for a long time, and I think a lot of us just refer to it as MAFS without thinking! I know acronyms can be confusing, but someone will always help clarify them! Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

I'm so over Mindy and Zach. He talks so much but says very little, and she tries to summarize what he says but never seems to get a complete thought out. She needs to cut her losses and move on.

Austin and Jessica are my favorites and i'm really rooting for them!

Respected Contributor

Taylor has some online following that she claims is not at all important to her but clearly it is even as she claims she's only trying to stay connected to close friends.  Who does that on their honeymoon?  Someone very needy of online attention and affirmation.  I put her in the same category as Mindy's husband Zach.  He's there for business related reasons, he has no interpersonal people skills and is pathetically preoccupied with how he looks for the camera.

I have a smidge of compassion for Brandon as he was very clear last night that he wasn't interested in a self involved, social media involved, wife.  Still, he behaves like he has PTSD and should have been eliminated as a contender for that as no woman should have to tolerate his mood swings without knowing what she's in for.

About Derek, something is missing in him, at least so far in his love life.  I doubt Katie can open his heart. 

It would not surpise me if none of these couples decide to stay married but I have some hope for Jessica and Austin.

There are two major conflicts about this show that make marriage success so difficult.  The show is interested in ratings and capturing camera shots.  This makes it hard for the couples to learn about one another in any relaxed way, tension is nearly constant, exhaustion fills the gaps.  They don't even have the space to flirt with each other, just tossed inside a big petri dish for two plus cameras and directors.

Added in, they have histories of failed relationships and usually haven't learned from them, may not know themselves very well (who they are) and have unrealistic expectations of a mate while under major pressures. 

Honored Contributor

I don't get the big issue of not wearing wedding rings.

My husband has never worn his.  It never bothered me.

95% of the time I do wear mine but if I don't have it on he never asks me why or where is it.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I don't get the big issue of not wearing wedding rings.

My husband has never worn his.  It never bothered me.

95% of the time I do wear mine but if I don't have it on he never asks me why or where is it.

My husband hasn't worn one in forever and I rarely do anymore, but then we've been married almost 40 years.  Generally when you are a newlywed you love wearing the ring, or should.  His got too small and once I retired I just don't wear it around the house and sometimes forget to put it on when I go out.   Now had he taken it off right after we got married, that would have been a different discussion.

Honored Contributor

Oddly, it's my husband who never takes his ring off and I, conversely, never wear mine anymore unless we go somewhere together.  I'll put them on for him but I know it's going to be 15-30 minutes at the kitchen sink when I get home, trying to get them over my arthritis joints.

Anyway, as to the episode - for some reason I ended up with the 'couples couch' airing of the episode.   I actually don't mind and figure I am probably not missing much that matters (still watching it).

Seems like not much going on.

Trusted Contributor

I think the big deal with the rings is because they are JUST married and are supposed to be in that sweet, but annoying, phase of saying, "My husband," or, "My wife," and having a wedding ring is pretty important. I didn't know that people take them off during the day at all, and usually keep them on all the time. I know my parents did. 

I guess that as couples establish their solid marriages, rings aren't as important?

I just think that it is a pretty sad beginning to this season. I don't like having five couples and we sure don't need 2 hours!