Valued Contributor

Re: Last night's MAFS, anyone?

I am rooting for Katie & Derek and Jessica & Austin. They are the only ones that seem compatible. I hope they make it. 

Sadly, I don't see much hope for the other couples. 

Zack is a jerk. I don't feel that he came on the show with good intentions. I feel sorry for Mindy.

Brandon has emotional problems. The professionals did a horrible job vetting him. He should never have been on the show.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with most of you about these couples.  At first, I couldn't stand Zach.  He seemed self absorbed.  I think the main problem is that he just is not turned on by Mindy - no chemistry.  You have to have that and it is something that is apparent in the beginning.......doesn't have to grow into attraction......at least that hasn't been my experience.  It doesn't mean that the other isn't an attractive person.....there just aren't sparks.  I think that is the problem with Zach.  I have never been attracted to pretty boys, but then that is another post. LOL

I feel that Katie is going to break Derek's heart.  She is looking for someone to give her kids and the sooner the better. She is fickle and he is naive and unexperienced.

Brandon has extreme anger issues and I would run for the hills if I was Taylor.  I can't imagine beginning a marriage with someone who has emotional problems.

It will be interesting to watch the saga of Austin's mother and Jessica.  It may change things.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Pastor Cal continues to be the worst.  In no way should they push for Brandon and Taylor to stay together.  Even if he were to straighten out now, that is his true personality and it would come back.  Disgrace.

Zach is the definition of a tool.  When asked if he wanted to stay in the marriage and he hesitated, I believe the true response would have been no, no marriage, but I would like to continue on with the camera time for my business; that's why I came on.   Definitely no spark, and that's fine, but call it and move on.  He is there strictly for his 15 minutes. 

I had hopes for Katie and Derek but doesn't look good. 

IMO they did a horrible job yet again with most of the couples.  I feel they look for issues for drama for the show.  

Trusted Contributor

If Brandon doesn't like having cameras in his face 24/7 why did he even sign up for the show?  Every reality show, Big Brother, Survivor, etc. you have cameras in your face all the time. That's the show, them taping you doing what you do.  He, in my opinion, is an ass and Taylor needs to dump him quickly.  He is definitely a guy with 2 personalities.  He comes back to the apartment after going off somewhere after they returned to DC and shows up, who knows how many days later, with flowers like nothing happened.  I think Jessica and Austin are the only couple that have a chance of making it.  

Honored Contributor

@Tangocash wrote:

MAFS? What is that? You all seem quite comfortable, making up your own abbreviations, that no one else knows what you are talking about! Don't be so lazy, write out the whole word!

@Tangocash don't feel bad, I didn't know what it meant either!

Trusted Contributor

I think Austin and his bride are the only ones that stand a chance. I think Katie will always be haunted whether it would have worked out with the last boyfriend if she had given him another chance but she may lose this guy to find that out and that would be a shame.  The other couples don't seem like they will stay together. There might be a little hope for Meka and Michael as he seems to be opening up to her.  They are a nice couple and it may work out and I hope it does.  She seems like she would be supportive to him.  I was surprised to see the redhead, forgot her name, and her husband were still together from last season.  The way they were portrayed it looked like they would not last much past the ending of the program.  I do enjoy the program though.

Respected Contributor

I'm pretty certain that Brandon is diagnosable.  His rage response is telling of something.   He cannot control it enough to get himself through this program as if he is so-called normal.  Try as he might, the best he can do is pull himself back together with an act, a player, a smooth talker.  It's probably worked for him for the most part in his past but it isn't working on this TV show or in this marriage.

When he showed up with the bouquet of flowers, all smiles, he came across much like abusers do.  "I'm sorry, I won't lose control again, these flowers and my apology are enough.  Move on."

Respected Contributor

@apl_pi14 wrote:

I'm so over Mindy and Zach. He talks so much but says very little, and she tries to summarize what he says but never seems to get a complete thought out. She needs to cut her losses and move on.

Austin and Jessica are my favorites and i'm really rooting for them!

@apl_pi14   I agree. I can see why Mindy is confused because I usually also sit there and have absolutely no idea what Zach is saying. Everything coming out of his mouth sounds like complete gibberish.

Respected Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

Taylor has some online following that she claims is not at all important to her but clearly it is even as she claims she's only trying to stay connected to close friends.  Who does that on their honeymoon?  Someone very needy of online attention and affirmation.  I put her in the same category as Mindy's husband Zach.  He's there for business related reasons, he has no interpersonal people skills and is pathetically preoccupied with how he looks for the camera.

I have a smidge of compassion for Brandon as he was very clear last night that he wasn't interested in a self involved, social media involved, wife.  Still, he behaves like he has PTSD and should have been eliminated as a contender for that as no woman should have to tolerate his mood swings without knowing what she's in for.

About Derek, something is missing in him, at least so far in his love life.  I doubt Katie can open his heart. 

It would not surpise me if none of these couples decide to stay married but I have some hope for Jessica and Austin.

There are two major conflicts about this show that make marriage success so difficult.  The show is interested in ratings and capturing camera shots.  This makes it hard for the couples to learn about one another in any relaxed way, tension is nearly constant, exhaustion fills the gaps.  They don't even have the space to flirt with each other, just tossed inside a big petri dish for two plus cameras and directors.

Added in, they have histories of failed relationships and usually haven't learned from them, may not know themselves very well (who they are) and have unrealistic expectations of a mate while under major pressures. 

@Free2be   Brandon never should have gone on the show if he has that much of a problem with being filmed all the time. I'm sorry, but if you're such a private person why did you even sign up? I thought it was ridiculous when Taylor was filming him as he woke up and he didn't speak to her all day long. I'm not a morning person at all so I certainly wouldn't like to have a camera in my face when I woke up either but he could have just told her that instead of giving her the silent treatment. He's way too much of a drama queen and who wants to be with a guy who gets set off that easily?

If I were Brandon I would also be put off by Taylor's obsession with social media. I get that it's easy to post right from your phone the minute you take a picture but how about focusing on other things when you're on your honeymoon?

I think Jessica and Austin are the only ones that stand a chance.

Esteemed Contributor

I think Brandon has real issues, but Taylor is probably not a real joy to live with either with that phone going 24/7.  When he got mad at the beginning because the phone was in his face when he woke up, we don't know how many times off camera she had been pulling that and how often he had asked her not to.  Then her doing the IG story about finding a good man  while married.  They are just a mess and clearly were put on the show for this drama and not because anybody thought they had a chance to make it.

I also don't think Derek and Katie are going to make it.   She will probably drive him away with her constant fear that he won't love her.  I mean I am sick of her droning on and on.  Her voice, something about it when she does that.  Pitch or something.  Anyway, I don't think they will make it either.

It seems to me these "experts" need to find new jobs.  And now I read Pastor Cal has a new show?  Because he has such a success rate?  I think we all know there will be zero chance of any survivors in relationships there.