Esteemed Contributor

Re: Last Man Standing to Return on Fox

@ScarletDove wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

That's good news. I have to admit that I sometimes ignored Tim when he went off on one of his diatribe moments, but because they were anticipated they were easy to tune out. The rest of the show was funny enough to warrant the eye rolling moments.

Tim has said in interviews that he wanted his character, Mike Baxter, to be like "All in the Family's" Archie Bunker. I think he achieved that and I wish the show success. 

Love Last Man Standing, such a treat to watch.  I don't think Mike Baxter was anything like Archie Bunker, entirely different generation and attitude to the world......Mike Baxter was a nicer person than Archie!  Baxter lives in Denver, Archie lives in NYC...

Read yesterday that it will be back on Fox 2018-2019, this fall maybe--hope so!

I not only see the similarity to Bunker that Tim puts into his own character (grumpy, loudly opinionated, insult throwing, yet likable conservative), but there's a clear familiarity in some of the other characters as well. Tim's (Mike's) SIL, Ryan, is an obvious nod to Michael Stivic. Mandy, and to a point, Kyle, are the Glorias and the Larabees are the Jeffersons. As for locale, geography has nothing to do with the premise of the show. The show could be located anywhere.

It is a new generation but, unfortunately, we still face many of the same problems, as well as differences in lifestyle choices, today that were addressed on All In the Family. Health care, gun control, civil rights, etc., even issues such as parenting, veganism vs the ethics of killing and eating animals have all been updated and brought into present time on LMS.

The first time I thought about how similar Mike was to Archie, albeit with updated scripting, I thought it was my imagination. Then, after reading Tim Allen saying he intentionally based his character on Archie Bunker, it all made sense. Both were/are great shows and I'm happy LMS lives again. 

Valued Contributor

For all Last Man Standing Fans, I just read the first episode of its return is Friday, September 28 at 8 p.m.on Fox.  Yeahhhhhhh!  So excited!  If you go online, google the official picture of the Baxter Family. There's a new Mandy since the original Mandy did not return. The new actress playing Mandy is the real life daugther of the actor who plays Eric Forrester on the Bold & the Beautiful.  His name escapes me right now.  I'm going to miss the original actress who played Mandy.  She was a good comedic actress with great comedic timing.  However, I'm looking forward to the new Mandy to see how she is portrayed and wish the new actress all the best as she takes on this role.  There's also a new Boyd (grown up a little). I love Tim Allen and Im happy the show is back.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing that @Lattelvr. I won't miss the actor playing Boyd, but I think the one playing Mandy was a big draw.  Sorry to see her part ways.  I don't care for the oldest daughter at all.  Wish they left the original actress in that role.

I hope the writing improves.  The last season wasn't very interesting to me, but I'll tune in to see how it goes.

Honored Contributor

I love this show, but without the original Mandy, I'm not sure I'll love it.

While Hector Elizondo is my favorite, Mandy is really critical and I don't think anyone can fill her shoes.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I wonder what happened to Mike's Dad ?And is this on a regular Fox Channel ?Also Chuck and Carol Larrabee.?

Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone know why Mandy isn't returning?

Respected Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@BalletBabe

I read somewhere that when the show was cancelled Mandy (Molly Ephraim) got involved in some different things, so when Last Man Standing came back, she was not able to do it.

E T reports that Molly McCook will be the face of the new Mandy, and will appear in most, if not all, of the upcoming episodes.

Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@BalletBabe

I read somewhere that when the show was cancelled Mandy (Molly Ephraim) got involved in some different things, so when Last Man Standing came back, she was not able to do it.

E T reports that Molly McCook will be the face of the new Mandy, and will appear in most, if not all, of the upcoming episodes.

@MorningLover   I liked her, but I think Tim Allen is the show.   Maybe if it gets good ratings, she an come back later.   Thanks for the info.!

Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@BalletBabe

@MorningLover   I liked her, but I think Tim Allen is the show.   Maybe if it gets good ratings, she an come back later.   Thanks for the info.!

@MorningLover  I just googled it and saw why , but itis political and so I cannot post it here.  Reading what I did....I am glad she is gone.   The little boy isn't coming back either.  I never cared for him anyway.  They are bringing a older boy in around 12 for new story lines.   I love Tim Allen , so I am looking forward to it.  We don't have a lot of good funny shows anymore.  Big Bang theory is done after this year.  We need more comedy shows IMO