Honored Contributor

I enjoyed it also.  I strongly suggest those of you who love the show but didn't get to see the show BEFORE it, please watch this show.

They explain things and show behind the scenes.  I think instead of 'pulling back the curtain' (so to speak) that often happens (i.e. making a show less desirable by showing reality) watching this show helped me cherish even more the tiresome teadiness that went into making Dowton even more authentic.

I've sometimes struggled with the name as I've noticed others have also.  I found this interesting on the name.

http://www.nhregister.com/arts-and-entertainment/20160306/its-not-downtown-abbey-x2014-its-downton-b...

Honored Contributor

BTW for people having withdrawal this morning, in addition to the usual Downton and Highclere books, here are a few mild remedies:

-- "Gosford Park", the movie that started it all

and Sir Julian Fellowes has written two novels, "Snobs" and "Past Imperfect."  I've read them both and enjoyed them, especially "Past Imperfect."

And a novel by Kazuo Ishiguro called "The Remains of the Day" (it was also made into a movie) written from the perspective of a Carson-like butler at the end of his career in service.

Frequent Contributor

I will miss this show so much!  Loved that we had stories, even love stories, for characters of all ages.  So often the older characters do nothing but sit around and talk about the younger ones but not on Downton.

Couple of notes:

Wished we had gotten to see Isabel and Dickie's wedding and would like to imagine Isobel donating a huge chuck of Dickie's fortune to charity before his evil son and DIL inherit

Too bad Carson couldn't redeem himself a bit more for being oafish to Mrs Hughes re her housewifely skills--would love to have seen him taking on the cooking chores at their cottage after his semi-retirement

After Anna gave birth in Mary's bedroom, was hoping for a return of Mary's old witchy personality so she could whine, "But where are WE supposed to sleep?"  (And, new mattress anyone?  euuughh)

Edith looked the best she's ever looked and we finally got to see how pretty the actress is in real life.  

I will miss the gorgeous clothes.  The blog/site Frock Flicks does a great clothing-centric recap of this and other shows

Esteemed Contributor

Such a good show...sad, but really good!!  I also thought Edith looked wonderful coming down that staircase in her bridal gown...so ethereal!  Loved Barrow's ending, but wondered if Mary's guy is really happy and settled???  As stated before, would love to see a Downton Abbey show set 10 to 15 years ahead!!

Honored Contributor

Who all watched from the beginning of the series,number one? I caught it late ,in episode 3,  but just fell in love with it, it is the only tv series that took me away  , i so loved it,got to watch last one again , i was so dreading the end of this series.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

It could had gone on and on, so wish it would had.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

I agree with everybody!!  What a great finale.  Like everybody else, I so enjoyed Downton and will miss the series.  It was a perfect ending with everybody around the tree and toasting to a new year.. Glad that there was a happy ending for everyone. 

This series was such a classic.  How in the world do you duplicate that success? 

Honored Contributor

I watched the finale on my computer shortly after it aired in the UK. I am so glad I did as knowing none of the major characters died made watching the final season more pleasant.  (and less stressful for me and my emotions)

I enjoyed every moment last night BUT that after show was lame. (IMO)

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

I watched the finale on my computer shortly after it aired in the UK. I am so glad I did as knowing none of the major characters died made watching the final season more pleasant.  (and less stressful for me and my emotions)

I enjoyed every moment last night BUT that after show was lame. (IMO)

What was the after show?  I didn't watch it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau