Valued Contributor

Re: Lark Rise to Candleford on HULU

@Cakers3 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

That is a great show, and if you are a Downton Abbey fan, did you notice that Robert is played by Brendan Coyle, Jon Bates ?  Also Dorcas is played by Julia Sawalha, who was Saffron the long suffering daughter on Absolutely Fabulous.

@QVCkitty1   Yes and Ruby (Victoria Hamilton) played the Queen Mum in the series Crown-the first 2 seasons.

Also Gabriel (Richard Harrington) was in Hinterland among other great shows.

Rose Cavaliero who played Mrs. Mullins has been in quite a few series, too.

I recognize faces and have to look them up.  LOL

Then it's "oh yeah" I remember him/her in something else.

---

There is also Minnie, played by Ruby Bentall, who was Verity in Poldark.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When it aired on PBS, I tried to watch but couldn't get interested.  To me, it was a run-of-the-mill over-dramatic costume-drama.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished the season 2 episodes about the clock.

Spoiler
The clockmaker seemed nice enough, but I didn't think he was right for Laura, so I'm glad he's moving along. . .
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While this is a period drama and it can be a bit at times, it does cover a multitude of issues.

Spousal abuse; workers rights and pay; women in higher positions (Dorcas); the plight of the poor vs. the ease of the well--to-do; education of the poor; the encroachment of factories and other progress on the lives of the working poor who live for the land; unwed pregnancy; the second class status of wives (shut up yourself Robert Timmins) and more.

For the time (1895 when it begins) it is interesting to see how these issues began to be addressed.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

Spoiler
The clockmaker seemed nice enough, but I didn't think he was right for Laura, so I'm glad he's moving along. . .

@wildcat fanI liked him.  He was able to bring Laura down to a real level she had been denying in herself.

Alf Arless and Queenie Turrill are my favorite characters in Lark rise.

In Candleford, my favorite is Minnie. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

Spoiler

@wildcat fanI liked him.  He was able to bring Laura down to a real level she had been denying in herself.

@Cakers3 I liked him too--everybody likes him 😊--but I'm rooting for Alfie. 😂

I like Queenie & Minnie too. Plus, I'm beginning to like Ruby Pratt.  Love her new blue dress ❤️  I'm wondering how much money Mr. Dowland has and exactly where he got it all.  I especially enjoy his scenes with Queenie.

Sometimes I have to sit on my hands to keep from throwing a shoe at the Robert Timmons.  🤣

Trusted Contributor

Wow, @Cakers3 , thanks for the heads up!  I LOVE  costume dramas, and this one is on Brit Box, which we get.  Will check it out.

Respected Contributor

I remember this series and loved it so much.  I love the historical pieces on PBS.  

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

Spoiler

@Cakers3 I liked him too--everybody likes him 😊--but I'm rooting for Alfie. 😂

I like Queenie & Minnie too. Plus, I'm beginning to like Ruby Pratt.  Love her new blue dress ❤️  I'm wondering how much money Mr. Dowland has and exactly where he got it all.  I especially enjoy his scenes with Queenie.

Sometimes I have to sit on my hands to keep from throwing a shoe at the Robert Timmons.  🤣

@wildcat fan   Robert TImmins is an annoying drip.  LOL

Nothing like Mr. Bates.  I think Brendan Coyle left this series to join Downton Abbey.

I imagine Mr. Dowland worked his way through the hotel business but there was also some financing by Celestia Coulson.  He was supposed to be a self-made man which he probably was but I think there was a little somethin' somethin' with Celestia too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 I got to "meet" Celestia this evening.  🤔

I like Dowland with Dorcas, but something tells me Dorcas will never be the kind to settle down, and because of that I hope they don't try any love interests for her if this doesn't work out.  If she couldn't make it work with Dowland or Sir Timothy, I don't think there's a man out there for her. 🤣

I'm wishing Thomas and Margaret would hurry up and get married.