Trusted Contributor

Re: Lady Ga Ga's Trubute to David Bowie!

Annabelle, what a great memory to share!  I really enjoyed Lady Gaga's performance last night.  She is quite a multi-talented artist!

Valued Contributor

Very nice post, I believe this is what music is all about.  A certain time, a certain place in time when you hear a song and later in life you have these memories resurrected.  Hopefully they are mostly good ones, but sometimes even the bad ones are triggered by music.

I thought Gaga committed to the Bowie tribute performance and did a great job.  However, I think the powers-that-be forced all the performances to be so rushed so they could end the show on time or cram another commercial down our throats that it was a little frenetic.  She is a very talented singer and has mentioned many times over the years what an inspiration Bowie was to her, that I think the network failed on this one, not the performer.  I agree with the poster who said all the memorial tributes should be a separate show entirely The performers can settle in, and do more of a concert than a quick one off performance.  Also enjoyed the Eagles, but they totally ran over the acceptance speech of Ed Sheeran's co-writer/performer, which was extremely awkward. That again, was the fault of the director/network. 

Super Contributor

For me it was a swing and a miss. It looked like she was giving the performance her heart and soul, but I agree that it was too rushed - so many of the performances that I saw seemed rushed to me. However, I did notice that every time I switched over, it was a performance rather than an award presentation? Anyway, I sort of felt like her voice was so not in the range or style of his that it didn't work. She gets a "A plus" for effort from me though!

Honored Contributor

Lady Gaga gif face costume for Tribute to David Bowie

lady gaga gif

gaga tribute face

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I guess I'm the only one in the whole world who never got David Bowie........glad it brought back good memories for you, though.  For me, one song can take me back to good tmes in a nano-second......music is powerful.

Honored Contributor

@HULAGIRL

I have to admit... I didn't watch the 2nd half of the Grammy's last night... fell asleep... but listened to the full performance this morning.

The singing of the two performances -- the SOUND QUALITY -- was a little better on the tablet.  THE SOUND WAS SO OFF AT THE GRAMMYS LAST NIGHT AND WHY?

I don't get David Bowie either... I like the song "Major Tom to Ground Control."  but have heard versions I liked a lot more than hers last night.

Valued Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

Lady Gaga's performance was a mockery of the man David Bowie was.  I'm both embarassed for her and ashamed.  That was a tribute?  Seemed more like a joke.  She looked and acted  like a cross between a frantic Liza Minelli and Bette Midler.  

He deserved something so much better than that.

Great comments - ITA!!! She was a POOR choice for a Bowie tribute.

Valued Contributor

@MENTL wrote:

Bowie was one of the greatest but GagGag was horrible!  It was so bad I had to change the channel.

LOL!!! She was TERRIBLE.

Honored Contributor

lady-gaga-600x800.jpg

How about those shoes?

Esteemed Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

@MENTL wrote:

Bowie was one of the greatest but GagGag was horrible!  It was so bad I had to change the channel.

LOL!!! She was TERRIBLE.

It was a poor tribute and a poor performance.