Respected Contributor

I saw this yesterday and loved it. I liked the music, the story, it reminded me of old time musicals but with a fresh touch. Emma Stone is like the girl you wish you could have been. And do I even have to explain Ryan Gosling, just look at him. Singing, dancing and playing piano, always love Ryan. Get away from things for a couple of hours and see LaLa Land.

Trusted Contributor

I agree, seen it twice. 

Esteemed Contributor

Good to hear! I can't wait to see it.  I'll probably buy it too.  I love most musicals.

Honored Contributor

I didn't care for it at all.  Can't believe the one song is nominated for an Academy Award.  So slow.

That's the great thing about movies though.  Some we like, some we don't.  Something for everyone.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Finally saw it myself last night.  Yes, I liked/loved it quite a bit.  For me, the film was more of a love story than a musical.  As someone who grew up on MGM musicals, something struck me.  I could not wait to return home to see if a hunch I had while watching the film had been written about.  What was my thought?  That La La Land  was influenced heavily by the French film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.  When I first saw Umbrellas, I remember thinking, "This isn't like the musicals I'm familiar with."  There are a few segments in La La, though,  that display that special MGM touch. 

The tone, mood, music and rhythm reminded, somehow, of that French film.  When I returned home, I immediately googled something like La La Land influnced by Umbrellas of Cherbourg?  I hit pay dirt.   The director of La La, Damien Chazelle, did his film in homage to Umbrellas.  Older contributors to this community site might remember the film that starred Catherine Deneuve, or younger contributors who are film buffs might know the film, as well. 

http://lwlies.com/articles/the-umbrellas-of-cherbourg-la-la-land-damien-chazelle/

Honored Contributor

I disliked it immensely, I think anyone but Emma Stone could of played to role, it did not wow me one bit.

@gidgetgh wrote:

I didn't care for it at all.  Can't believe the one song is nominated for an Academy Award.  So slow.

That's the great thing about movies though.  Some we like, some we don't.  Something for everyone.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

I saw it with a friend last week.  It was her turn to pick, and she chose this one.

Neither of us cared for it.  I thought it would never end, and she apologised for her choice!

I was put off right at the opening scene on the freeway where they all get out of their cars and sing.  My first thought was to wonder how everyone on the road that day happened to be the same age.  It went down from there.

Too bad, as romances and musicals are my fave.  I didn't feel any chemistry between the stars, and her blank stare was annoying.

Respected Contributor

I saw it with my mom at Christmas.  It was okay--but it dragged for me.  She loved it.

Honored Contributor

I thought it was something different which is good---no violnce or explicit intimate scenes which was also refreshing.  Much of the music was enjoyable but not enough for me in a musical.  And it did drag a bit.   I'm not overly fond of Emma Stone as an actress.....Overall it was okay and as I said it was different which I liked.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

My sis said she fell asleep on it, and she went to a matinee.