Honored Contributor

LIZA DECLINING TO SEE "JUDY"

The New York Post has an interesting little piece today about Liza Minelli refusing to see the biopic "Judy".   Apparently, Lorna feels the same.  (They mention in passing that Lorna Luft is 67!  For some reason that surprised me, I'm so out of touch, ha.)

Understandable that the family is against a film that depicts a very tragic side of their parent's life.  I have heard such good things about Zellweger's portrayal.  Judy Davis was superb in hers, but not having seen Zellweger's I can't compare.  Anyone who has seen both, care to comment?

Have heard Zellweger is a favored contender for upcoming Oscar nod.

Can't post because of sidebars, but if interested, google Liza Minelli New York Post and it will pop up...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: LIZA DECLINING TO SEE "JUDY"

Can't say I'm surprised at their lack of interest in seeing the latest Hollywood treatment of their mom.

As a side note, I agree Judy Davis was superb!

Esteemed Contributor

It is probably painful as this was their childhood at least for Lorna and Joey. 

Esteemed Contributor

Lorna was an executive producer of Me and My Shadows based upon her memoir, so she of course had a lot of control over content.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why would they want to see a movie that turns their mother's life and death into entertainment so that a bunch of people can make money off it?   If it was my mother, I wouldn't want to see it either.

Esteemed Contributor

Lorna already made her money off of the book and television movie.

Respected Contributor

I did see the movie.  I thought Renee was fantastic.  She will and should get the Oscar for this role.  As an aside......I thought Liza had pased away.  Good to know she is still alive.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

LIZA, 73, alive and on the cover of Variety:

Variety Print

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager   Whoever put that cover together deserves an award for photo shopping.

Respected Contributor

I agree w/the posters here.  Why would Liza want to see it?  She lived it.  Probably is too painful for her to watch an actress portraying her Mom in her declining years.  I don't blame her.

She looks fabulous on the cover of that magazine.  I always liked Liza and feel she is just as talented, if not moreso, than her Mom.

They are both icons of entertainment.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing