Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach @Cakers3 and all British TV fans:

I just discovered a new cop drama called LINE OF DUTY...have you seen it??

It's written by the same writer (Jed Mercurio) who wrote BODYGUARD, which is on Netflix.

Line of Duty follows an anti-corruption police unit in the UK...and the series constantly references previous characters and storylines. It is incredibly addictive...and there are 5 seasons available on Acorn TV.

BUT there are all these ACRONYMS that are hard to follow. I have to google them constantly: ARV, OCG, MOPI, Sit rep, VO, UCO; in addition to the usual abbreviations for ranking officers and detectives in the UK: DS, DI, DCI, DCS, ACC.

Whew! I need a scorecard to keep it all straight, but I highly recommend this series!

Honored Contributor

Re: LINE OF DUTY

[ Edited ]

Thank you, @MarnieRez3 

I will look for it.  Sounds like a good one.

But, ooh, you're so right about those annoying acronyms.  I once had a job where, in my first week, they handed me a SEVEN PAGE list of acronyms that people were using at work.  Can you imagine? 

p.s.  I just added the first season to my Netflix DVD queue.  The reviews there are quite good.  Thanks again!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@MarnieRez3  Thanks for the reminder. My daughter keeps telling me to watch it. I love all of the British show but as you said, I can't understand everything they say. I started to watch this show but got frustrated and stopped, which is unusual because I usually stick it out and get used to what they're saying. Again, thanks, I'm going to try it again.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

I just finished watching season 5. One of my very favorite Brit shows. The only problem is that there are onlt 6 episodes per season. If you like cop shows with a twist this show is for you.

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:

@GingerPeach @Cakers3 and all British TV fans:

I just discovered a new cop drama called LINE OF DUTY...have you seen it??

It's written by the same writer (Jed Mercurio) who wrote BODYGUARD, which is on Netflix.

Line of Duty follows an anti-corruption police unit in the UK...and the series constantly references previous characters and storylines. It is incredibly addictive...and there are 5 seasons available on Acorn TV.

BUT there are all these ACRONYMS that are hard to follow. I have to google them constantly: ARV, OCG, MOPI, Sit rep, VO, UCO; in addition to the usual abbreviations for ranking officers and detectives in the UK: DS, DI, DCI, DCS, ACC.

Whew! I need a scorecard to keep it all straight, but I highly recommend this series!

@MarnieRez3Thanks for the suggestion!  We've been thinking about getting ACORN so if we do we will check this one out.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor
@froggy
Agreed...I am totally late in discovering this show. It really is edge-of-the seat viewing!
Trusted Contributor
@GingerPeach
No, my dear I cannot imagine seven pages of acronyms! That is so crazy! Hope you like "Line of Duty" on Netflix. The same writer created the series, "Bodyguard," which I haven't seen, but it has gotten stellar reviews.
I don't understand why the British police use so many abbreviations...how do they expect the viewers to keep up? 😉
@Coquille I know exactly what you are talking about...I have to use the closed-captioning while watching this show, or I truly have trouble understanding the plot.
@Cakers3
Acorn TV is a bargain...it's only $4.99 a month...BUT I must warn you...not all their programming is closed-captioned, especially if you're watching Acorn through Comcast cable...not sure if this applies to computer viewing.
Respected Contributor

As well as Netflix, Prime and Acorn I also subscribe to Britbox. American network TV is such a wasteland. We really enjoy the Brit, Aussie, Canadian and New Zealand shows - they seem to be much better quality.

Trusted Contributor
@froggy
Wow...you have such a great selection of foreign shows...I must get Britbox!
Australian TV is exceptionally good...I liked Janet King, Rake, A Place to Call Home, Crownies. They have such an interesting court structure (and, of course, those wigs!) and it makes for great TV.