Honored Contributor

LEE MENDELSON, "A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS" PRODUCER

Just learned that the ground-breaking TV producer Lee Mendelson died after a battle with lung cancer on Christmas Day.

He brought together the magical team that made TV history in 1965 with "A Charlie Brown Christmas" --  of course, brilliant cartoonist Charles Schultz,  director Bill Melendez, and Vince Guaraldi, composer of the memorably jazzy score.

Lee Mendelson also wrote the lyrics to Guaraldi's signature song for the show--  "Christmas Time is Here"--

"Christmas time is here, happiness and cheer/ Fun for all, that children call, their favorite time of year....."

Can you envision the "Peanuts" gang skating and playing "crack the whip" on the ice rink as the lyrics run through your head?

Mendelson always believed the show almost never got aired, because network executives hated it.  They didn't like the lack of a laugh track, the underlying Biblical theme, the use of real children's voices as opposed to adults pretending to be children. 

How could they have been so wrong, and Mendelson so right, about everything to do with this enduring, universally moving and soulful holiday masterpiece?

Thank goodness for visionary craftsmen who occasionally prevail against "the suits"!   RIP Lee Mendelson.

Trusted Contributor

Re: LEE MENDELSON, "A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS" PRODUCER

This movie wouldn’t have been what it was without him. It’s a special that goes back to when I was a little girl and still endures. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell -

That's a beautiful tribute.

Your post made me think of other famous authors who had been rejected many times.

The list is fascinating.

Roots rejected 200 times.

Agatha Christie, JK Rawlings, Mario Puzzo's The Godfather, Frank Baum's The wizard of OZ, Gone with the Wind, just so many!

Thank goodness they never gave up!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Charlie Brown and gang are loved by so many.  Thankfully Mr. Mendelson didn't give up and instead gave us great entertainment through  cartoon of characters with personalities!  I love the music also, it goes hand in hand with the Peanuts shows.

Rest in peace, Mr. Mendelson.

Valued Contributor

Linus to the rescue when he shares with Charlie Brown "what Christmas is all about." Love that pure and touching scene.

Honored Contributor

Linus' heartfelt sincerity as he quotes those words to reassure Charlie Brown of the real meaning of Christmas, is something I wait for every year, @cimeranrose !

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Just learned that the ground-breaking TV producer Lee Mendelson died after a battle with lung cancer on Christmas Day...

...Mendelson always believed the show almost never got aired, because network executives hated it.  They didn't like the lack of a laugh track, the underlying Biblical theme, the use of real children's voices as opposed to adults pretending to be children. 

How could they have been so wrong, and Mendelson so right, about everything to do with this enduring, universally moving and soulful holiday masterpiece?

Thank goodness for visionary craftsmen who occasionally prevail against "the suits"!   RIP Lee Mendelson.

I am so sorry to learn this.  Everyone's time comes of course and I hope he was peaceful surrounded by loved ones.  So fitting it was on Christmas.  It's the first animated special I remember and has always been my favorite.

One thing, Oznell, to your comment "Thank goodness for visionary craftsmen who occasionally prevail against 'the suits!'" 

No one prevails against network execs.  The choice was theirs and theirs alone (this is before corporate ownership).  The execs obviously decided to run the special, because they did. 

Also you say he "believed" that which doesn't even make it true.  I'm sure they had reservations, many great shows were initially considered not good enough or objectionable -- but today they're beloved television history.

In any case, RIP to a man who gave so much to so many so wonderfully.  Charles Schultz could not have had a better man to bring his strip to animated life.  

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

Just learned that the ground-breaking TV producer Lee Mendelson died after a battle with lung cancer on Christmas Day...

...Mendelson always believed the show almost never got aired, because network executives hated it.  They didn't like the lack of a laugh track, the underlying Biblical theme, the use of real children's voices as opposed to adults pretending to be children. 

I am so sorry to learn this.  Everyone's time comes of course and I hope he was peaceful surrounded by loved ones.  So fitting it was on Christmas.  It's the first animated special I remember and has always been my favorite.

One thing, Oznell, to your comment "Thank goodness for visionary craftsmen who occasionally prevail against 'the suits!'" 

No one prevails against network execs.  The choice was theirs and theirs alone (this is before corporate ownership).  The execs obviously decided to run the special, because they did. 

Also you say he "believed" that which doesn't even make it true.  I'm sure they had reservations, many great shows were initially considered not good enough or objectionable -- but today they're beloved television history.

In any case, RIP to a man who gave so much to so many so wonderfully.  Charles Schultz could not have had a better man to bring his strip to animated life.  

Hi @LoriLori 

Hope your holidays were lovely (and continue on as it's not even New Year's Eve yet!).

I have two things:

One, this quote I found re Mendelson:  I really believed, if it hadn't been scheduled for the following week, there's no way they were gonna broadcast that show,” Mendelson said on a 2004 documentary for the DVD of the special.

And second, the whole story of folks persevering in the face of rejection is inspiring and, as I know you are very well read, do you have a favorite book that perhaps collects the stories of people who have done just that, persisted?  If not, maybe someone ought to write one. 🌟

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Charlie Brown has always been a favorite in my family, I bought DH a charlie Brown Christmas Carol Mini Picture book which came with a sad little tree, Linus Blanket and ornament

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Well, I might see the 'journey to production' story a little bit differently than you, @LoriLori, but I join you in your admiration for and love for this enduring holiday classic!

I didn't know there were little kits with picture books, blankets and sad little trees, @I am still oxox -- how cute.