Honored Contributor

LANA TURNER FEST, TUESDAY 6:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Lana-Turner.jpg

Starting with "Rich Man, Poor Girl" @6:00 a.m. Eastern, and winding through hits like "The Postman Always Rings Twice",  "The Bad and the Beautiful",  and "Peyton Place".

Romantic melodrama/adventure she did with Clark Gable and Robert Sterling,  "Somewhere I'll Find You"  is another good bet.

Hoping this link works-- lately with their new format, I haven't been able to do "targeted" links on the TCM schedule.    If it goes to "Monday" instead of "Tuesday",  just flip a day ahead to Tuesday to find the "Lana-thon"....

https://www.tcm.com/schedule/

Lana's always a good time!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: LANA TURNER FEST, TUESDAY 6:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell 

Love anything Lana!

Haven't seen all of these, so will try to catch one or two of those new to me.

The Postman is a favorite of mine.   She's perfection as a bad girl!

Honored Contributor

You're so right, @Witchy Woman --  she's non-stop vitality!

Esteemed Contributor

Oh Peyton Place!  Yes great classic. She is amazing in  all her movies. Thanks @Oznell 

Esteemed Contributor

Tangentially related, but I highly recommend this biography by Cheryl Crane, Lana's daughter.   It is absolutely one of the best, most honest "inside Hollywood " biographies I have ever read. (And I've read a lot.)  Great details about the infamous "scandal."

41JoMlhujyL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Honored Contributor

Oh, you are right, @Johnnyeager --  I enjoyed that too.  It gave insight into some of Lana's seemingly inexplicable actions, without being an accusatory, "Mommie Dearest" kind of account, as I remember.   Now I want to read it again!

Super Contributor

Watching The Bad and the Beautiful right now but more for Kirk Douglas. I love the part in the movie where they are in the costume dept. looking at the cat man costumes. They are sitting there dumbstruck with their mouths open. Always makes me smile.

Valued Contributor

Wasn't Lana gorgeous? When she was younger she had a softness that seemed to leave her features once she hit her thirties. I read somewhere that she was one tough cookie. She loved to party, was a hard drinker "with the boys" at night clubs, often showing up for work quite hung over. She had a string of Hollywood's greatest men at her beck and call, and didn't hide her dalliances. I though she and Clark Gable were a great match.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Photo of Lana and Cheryl with a certain gentleman at the 1957 Oscars held in April 1958. Peyton Place was Lana's only nomination. 

Oscar Trivia: With 9 nominations and no wins, Peyton Place tied for this distinction with The Little Foxes.  It was subsequently surpassed by The Turning Point and The Color Purple, both with 11 nominations and no wins!

4 Supporting Oscar Nominations: Tied with On the Water Front, Tom Jones, The Last Picture Show and Godfather Part II in this distinction. 

lana-awards-grant.jpeg

Honored Contributor

What a fun photo, @Johnnyeager --  star power!