Honored Contributor

I am going to try and watch it On Demand this week.

Esteemed Contributor

I thought it was fabulous!! A modern take on the past.Loved it!!❤️

Esteemed Contributor

NOt nearly as good as the awards it received and the reviews would have you think.

Honored Contributor

Not much of a story, but the music was wonderful and the scenery was pretty, sad ending, but loved the way it was done.

Respected Contributor

SeaMaiden wrote:

I have not seen it myself....but the name is a turn off to me...and I dislike musicals so it is  not something I would pay to see.  I do not like  people singing in movies  out of the blue etc, it is just so phony.  

@SeaMaiden I completely agree. Not a fan of musicals at all. I think the only one I've ever liked was Grease when I was a kid. I just don't get them. Makes my hubby happy he doesn't have to suffer through them. 

Honored Contributor

I thoroughly enjoyed it and wasn't expecting I'd like it as much. 

Honored Contributor

I saw it On Demand the other night.  Emma Stone is interesting to watch in any role but the movie was a flop for me.  

Honored Contributor

It paled in comparison to musical movies I've loved.  One reason being IMO there was only one outstanding and memorable song in it - the one that won the Academy Award (called City of Lights I think?).   Even so, it's no classic.  Think of musicals:  West Side Story, Oklahoma!, The Music Man, South Pacific, the Astaire-Rogers films,  and on and on and all the great songs that were in them to keep us entertained.  A musical needs to hold an audience's interest by having great songs and this one didn't.   I thought the  opening number dragged on and on and on and didn't bode well for the rest of the film.  Really, can anyone hum that tune from the opening number?

After I recently watched Top Hat from the 1930s, I was humming Cheek to Cheek and The Piccolino for days afterwards.  

I think La la Land failed for not having a great and memorable musical score.

Esteemed Contributor

I actually love a lot of the older movies/musicals. I spent a lot of time with my grandmother growing up and those types of shows were a staple in her house.  I am 50 years old and my favorite movie/musical of all time is "The Sound of Music". 

I have never seen this musical LA LA Land and I have no desire to see it. The promo ads, name alone  annoyed the ****** out of me. I was shocked that it took all of the awards at The Oscars last years.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I actually love a lot of the older movies/musicals. I spent a lot of time with my grandmother growing up and those types of shows were a staple in her house.  I am 50 years old and my favorite movie/musical of all time is "The Sound of Music". 

I have never seen this musical LA LA Land and I have no desire to see it. The promo ads, name alone  annoyed the ****** out of me. I was shocked that it took all of the awards at The Oscars last years.

@icezeus  The Sound Of Music is an excellent example of my point above.  So many great and memorable songs in it.  I tear up every time I hear Edelweiss to this very day.