Honored Contributor

I saw this today. I love mysteries (books and films) and this one is a campy (but not spoof) of Agatha Christie mysteries or the game of Clue. It's a decent mystery with a large cast and a lot going on. There are quite a few laugh-worthy lines although it isn't a comedy. There is, in fact, a line about the man who is killed living in a "Clue board" because the house, which is wonderful, looks straight out of Clue.

I did not love this film but did enjoy it and am glad I saw it. It was interesting to see Christopher Plummer, almost 60 years after seeing him a few days ago in Sound of Music. He's still quite spry I was happy to see.
Loved Jamie Lee Curtis who was great although borderline overacting in parts. Toni Collette was in it and Don Johnson, who did the best acting I've seen him do, and many others in the cast. I'd describe the film as fun.

IMO the weakest person was the star, Daniel Craig, the detective. Although I knew who he was I'd never seen a film of his and he was only OK. Also I don't know why his role requires him to have a southern accent -- nobody else had one- and it wasn't a good idea. But that's a small quibble. I did like the film which made for a pleasant evening, although it's not one I'd watch again, esp since I know how the mystery comes out.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee   Snap!  DH and I saw this today too.  The opening sequence reminded me of Midsummer Murders the pbs t.v. series!   However, we did enjoy it with some reservations.  We both said very Agatha Christie but with more laughs!

I was disappointed in the Daniel Craig role - I love him as Bond - to me bit of a ‘dud’ role for him and hated the accent but his last Bond film is due out so I guess he is moving on.  I like Toni Collette and, indeed, enjoyed all the other named actors - lot of over acting but it went with the story I think.

On the whole I agree with you, not the greatest movie but glad I saw it and it was an enjoyable couple of hours though DH said it should have been a made for t.v. movie.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee   P.s,  Did you hear my man Mr, Jagger singing the closing music at end of movie - had to sit and juuust listen DH went to loo!   Also, Roxy Music playing when Toni Collette doing her dance.  

Honored Contributor
@dulwich, no I didnt but heard the few bars of my man Gordon Lightfoot singing Sundown about 2/3 thru the film. I did hear the closing music but didnt realize it was Jagger! I stayed through the credits.

Tell hubby I thought it was a few cuts above a made for TV movie. And you just reminded me, the couple of jabs about Hallmark Movies were funny.

Glad you agreed about Daniel Craig!
Valued Contributor

@dulwich  I thought the movie was fun and enjoyable to watch.  I agree about Daniel Craig and don't understand his Golden Globe nomination.

Respected Contributor

Thanks ladies! I am seeing it tomorrow and will listen for the music now that I know!

Regular Contributor

I saw it over Thanksgiving and just loved it.  Lots of fun.  Good movie to see over the holidays 

Honored Contributor

This was only the second movie I had seen in about 25-30 years. I thought it was awful and almost fell asleep during the first half hour. 

Honored Contributor
I do think the beginning was slower than the rest, as all the characters were being introduced. But I didn't think it was awful by any means.
Honored Contributor

I watched the trailer and it looks sort of camp. I am not fond of that genre. If it were played  seriously and not for laughs I would see it..thanks @Pearlee