Respected Contributor

“King Richard” movie promo

I saw the promo for the movie "King Richard" this week. It is the story of Venus, Serena, and their dad. I had no idea the movie was being made, or if it was with or without the Williams' approval, but I would like to see it.

In 1993 we attended the Lipton tennis tournament in Miami (now known as the Miami Open). An avid tennis fan sat beside us and we began talking about our love for the sport. We were on one of the outer courts so the stands were somewhat small. She pointed across the way to two young girls sitting with their father. She said they are supposed to be the next big thing in tennis. All I saw was two little girls enjoying a tennis match with their father. The lady then said to watch for their careers to rise. Their name is Williams. 

Needless to say this movie is of special interest to me and my family. Ironically I do not enjoy attending movies but the Gucci one and King Richard both have me wanting to see them. There is a thread about the Gucci film.

Honored Contributor

Re: “King Richard” movie promo

[ Edited ]

I saw it too, Will Smith stars as the girls father. 

Honored Contributor

I spent my first 61 years in the South Bay area of So. Cal. and well remember when one or both girls, I don't recall which, was playing at the lilly-white (mostly) and very pricey Manhattan Beach Athletic Club. As I recall, she or they were a sensation.

Respected Contributor

@On It , thanks for posting.  LM

Honored Contributor

@On It   Didn't know who "KIng Richard" was but now I do.  Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember back in the day heqaring nevative things abt him  on the news.