Honored Contributor

Re: Kelly - 600 Pound Life

[ Edited ]

I have a few friends and even some past coworkers who have had gastric bypass surgery.  It is only covered by insurance if you lose x amount of weight on your own and have certain medical conditions, regardless of how much you weigh. If you are fat and healthy, it is not covered.

in addition, you must have counseling for mental and nutritional issues first.  If you do not meet these guidelines or complete the requirements, your surgery will not be approved.

Actually, if you cut most carbs from your diet, you will not be hungry.  All vegetables have some carbs in them, but many are low carb foods. Sugar and carbs cause cravings and cause you to want to eat more.

it takes about three days for the carb cravings to go away. Carbs are sugar...sugar from sugar cane, from fruit, vegetables and grains is all metabolized the same way by your body.  Some just do not have any nutritional value in addition to the carbs and calories.

When you reach your goal weight, you then can add some limited high carb foods such as starchy vegetables and grains.

I agree that the surgery is dangerous.  A family friend died from cancer.  While her son was at her funeral, he received a call that his sister passed from complications from gastric bypass surgery she had a few days prior. She was only in her early 30's.

That  poor young man had to bury his mother and his sister in the same week.

600 lb life cuts a lot of out of their televised program.  They only have so much time.  

Valued Contributor

@Carmie I had my gastric bypass in 2006 and had massive complications.  I was nowhere near the 600-700 lb range of these patients.  I had excellent health insurance but I was self-pay and the operation had to be paid up front.  At the time of my surgery there were quite a few deaths associated with this procedure.  I had roux en y which I don't think many of Dr. Now's patient have.  Most of his patients seem to get the sleeve.  The group I was part of had virtually no mental counseling.  We mostly all had the invasive cuts, laproscopic not usually an option in people our size.  I can't say our group was a huge success, including me but I'm not blaming the surgical procedure.  I also had to pay for the excess skin removal which also had massive complications.

I think what bothers me the most about this show, even though I continue to watch, is the enabling that goes on.  Seriously, how can anybody who weighs 600-700 lbs and haven't left their bed in years, be a threat if you don't bring them 6 pizzas?  Why does almost everyone blame incidents that occurred 30 years ago for their extreme obesity when mostly everyone around them is usually also extremely obese.?    The show Family by the Ton is a more accurate portrayal of the problems associated with morbid obesity.  Also these family members very seldom blame anybody but themselves.

Esteemed Contributor

At first, Kelly had a "friend" accompany her to Texas.  Then, all of a sudden, she disappeared and a cousin came into the picture.  This cousin looked as though he was successful.  Beautiful home, etc.  They never showed his wife and daughter.  

Then, after a month, he tells her that even though they love her, she can't come back to his home.  Then, he changes his mind.

When she had the surgery, there was an uncle and cousin who came in to kiss her and wish her luck.  Where are all these people coming from??

Anyway, I am suspicious that the cousin (who took her back to his  home) took out an insurance policy and then she dies.  The whole thing sounded very strange.  She died at night when nobody was home.  Where was the family????  

Why did he decide to let her come back home.  That was a beautiful home - too immaculate.  They made a room just for her downstairs?  Why didn't he want her back there and then change his mind.  BTW, he didn't even speak when he was on camera.  Very, very strange.  

Honored Contributor

The stress on the body especially the heart is not a quick fix by losing 300 pounds in Two years....the damage was done years prior with poor food and all that fat.  

Esteemed Contributor

That was a hard episode to watch.  I really liked Kelly right from the start and was pulling for her to be successful.

Dr. Now tells all of his patients that they probably don't have long to live, and so many seem not to care or believe him.  I hope his noncompliant patients see this episode and maybe have a bit of a wake up call; it can happen to them too.