Valued Contributor

Re: Kanye West on TMZ 1 May 2018

That's because you agree with her....I on the other hand don't!!!

Honored Contributor

Without commenting on his personal life or decisions, I would say that I agree with one general point he may have been trying to make, albeit clumsily--

I don't like it when assumptions are made about me due to my belonging to any particular group.  I'll use the example of being female-- for decades, some purported feminists have behaved as if they spoke for "women",  many have derided other women who don't toe a particular line.  There seems to be, indeed, a hatred (by some) for women who define feminism differently-- and who may be pro-life and differ on other issues.

I've seen this for years--  Gloria Steinem famously denigrated Jeane Kirkpatrick by saying horrible thing about her anatomy and right to call herself a woman.  All because Kirkpatrick differed in her thought process (and it was a formidable thought process-- the woman was brilliant) from Steinem and her "group".   Some people up to this day want to prescribe a kind of "group-think" for women, or for other demographics.

So, it's my belief that we need to see people as individuals, and allow for the fact that individuals can think differently, without forfeiting their identity.  If this is one of his points, it's a valid one, regardless of where it originated, I believe.

Honored Contributor

Did you mean me?  I don't understand what you are saying?  Agree with who on what?

Honored Contributor

Why isn't Kanye supposed to shut up and sing (like dribble) and keep his views to himself? After all, that's what celebrities are supposed to do? 

That's my only feeling about it. Other than that it's Kanye being Kanye. He does have some mental health issues and I wish him all the best with them. I think he has truly suffered from the loss of his mother and still does.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

Using your own analogy, @Oznell, women on the other side have faced the same discrimination coming from another large section of the population which will remained unnamed as we can't go there on this board. Horrible things have been said, and are still said by that group including baby killers, immoral, man-haters, encouraging a culture of death, and so on. But these things, on both sides, come from people who are extremists and will fight for their cause using hatred and judgement not caring how divisive it many be. Everyday there's a guy on one of largest syndicated radio shows in LA who, every time the subject of feminism is raised, makes hideously disparaging remarks about feminists including their appearance. He may never learn, it's who he is, he is filled with hate. These are the people who will never see both sides regardless of how many meetings, conventions, or summits are held in the name of "can't we all just get along." It's my opinion those people, as I said earlier, are extremists. 

There was a thread on CC a while back where people were saying their shopping trips were miserable due to all the mean, pushy, hateful people in the stores. I was so taken aback because that has never been my experience. I made a mental note to really look around the next time I went out to see if these nasty people were there, lurking in the shadows, and somehow I just missed them. But no, people were as friendly and kind as always. I think some people project things into the world and it's often what they project that they have returned. Kanye has been dishing out hate for years. Perhaps that's why he feels it coming back at him the way he does. If he's truly making a change for the better that's awesome, but he's been down that road before. Still, I wish him the best.

I don't get how some people seem to find the concept of thinking for ourselves is something new. And I really don't get the mindset that some think we're molded into little boxes, and thinking outside that box is prohibited. Not even close! 

I see people everyday with piercings in some wild places, tattoos covering entire bodies, and hair of every color of the rainbow. And right next to them I see women and men in suits and ties, not a tattoo in sight, and hair that's never seen dye except to cover the gray, yet no one blinks an eyelash. I see men staying home to raise the babies while their wives have careers to support the family. I see women in the boardroom and men as their assistants. Genders no longer constrain us. I see men who dress like women, women who marry women, and it's now totally commonplace for organizations to help these couples become parents. I see people adopting children outside their own race, gender, and ethnicity because we have woken up to the fact that people are people and love is love. People have been thinking outside the box of what was once considered normal for decades.

I will say this, if the idea is simply that Kanye has never been aware of this phenomenon--about people thinking outside the box and working together--and has finally had a epiphany, then bravo because yes that is valid. It has been for a very long time.

Honored Contributor

That people should be able to think for themselves, and not in a programmatic way prescribed for them by their membership in some group, @SusieQ_2, I believe is something we can all get behind. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree, @Oznell. You can probably tell from reading my posts there are things we might not always agree on while others we do, but regardless, I think you are one of the most thoughtful people I have had the pleasure of posting with here. I always enjoy reading your posts whether they be about movies, current events, or just whatever! Thanks for being you, and I, for one, would never try to put you in a box.

That almost sounds kinky, or criminal. Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, thanks for the conversation. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

You're a dear, @SusieQ_2, a good egg, and one I have enjoyed from the very first time we compared and discussed wonderful leading men who reminded us of loved ones!

Honored Contributor

I think he's a showman who thrives on getting attention by saying bizarre things.  We don't need another one of those.