Occasional Contributor

Re: KIRK DOUGLAS, DORIS DAY, LAUREN BACALL "YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN" TCM WEDNESDAY 8:00 P.M.

Thank you for highlighting these movies.  I look forward to reading them every day.  You have gotten me interested in watching a number of movies that I usualy ignore, and I find that I have enjoyed them.  Thanks for widening my field of movie interest.

Honored Contributor

Re: KIRK DOUGLAS, DORIS DAY, LAUREN BACALL "YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN" TCM WEDNESDAY 8:00 P.M.

That makes my day, @JayVee, thanks!  And I hope you continue to explore these terrific films.

Honored Contributor

Yes, thank you Oznell

I went to a 35 mm film festival the other Saturday. A documentary by a professor at Emerson College was shown. And he gave a talk about his film and making it. One statement he said stuck with me. Since he is a professor he was saying the many kids today will not watch any film in B&W. They will only watch color films. I thought how sad. The kids are missing out on so much.

Honored Contributor

That is so interesting, and you are right, sad, @drizzellla.

I live about 10 miles from a local university, and occasionally audit courses there as an adult.  There's a professor who once every 3 or 4 years, I think, gives course in the media and film.  So far, I've audited one of his courses, and of course, it was on the golden age of filmmaking!

What I noticed is that the regular college students who elected to take the course, were fascinated and obsessed, even, with classic film.  I didn't hear any of them say they didn't like black and white, but I know that many 20-somethings do feel that way. 

I think it's lack of exposure for those people-- they don't see these classics, they don't understand the elegance and history of black and white. 

What I did notice w/ the students I went to class with, was how little they knew about the film industry prior to their "era", even if they were interested in it.  Gosh, when I was an adolescent, I knew a fair amount about films (and pop culture in general, like jazz) made way before I was born, appreciated them on their own terms, etc.

You'd thnk that anyone with an ounce of intellectual curiosity and appreciation for the arts, would seek out things on their own, but.....   

We have to do our part by exposing later generations to the history of all the arts, and hope the curious ones pick it up!

Honored Contributor

Oh, @Oznell

So true, this, what you wrote:

"You'd think that anyone with an ounce of intellectual curiosity and appreciation for the arts, would seek out things on their own, but . . ." 

Such a lack of curiousity.  It saddens me.  

What also makes me wonder is that, when people are on a board, which naturally means they are also connected to the Internet, why they don't open another window to look into something?  I don't mean that discussion should be silenced, but why just stop at one thread or one forum or even one comment without taking a few moments to go a bit farther on one's own?  

That always puzzles me.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Watched it again last nite, gosh that 1950 apt that Bacall had in NYC was magnificent!! Ben M and his guest host vehemently criticized the ending of this movie, loved the rest. They said it was not written to be such a cheerful ending, but Jack Warner insisted on it.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Yeah, I think I read somewhere, @Shelbelle, that he had a bit of a thing for Bacall, back in New York?  (Who could blame him, ha.)

Apparently in real life, neither Day nor Douglas were too impressed with each other.  Kirk thought that Doris's cheerfulness was a "mask",  and she thought he was self-centered.

But I love the casting of these three.  Here's Kirk, Bacall and Doris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vdlec4N8pg

When Bacall first came to Hollywood, she and Douglas dated for a time.  They remained good friends. They had a lot in common.  I head about Doris Day.  Not kind of surprised.  She and Douglas had nothing in common.  Very different people. LOL..he WAS kind of self centered! Nothing wrong with his ego!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the additional info, @songbird!