Super Contributor

Re: Just saw Beauty and the Beast

It was a wonderful movie.  

The music and costumes were fantastic!

I was very impressed with Emma Watson's portrayal of Belle.

Esteemed Contributor

Saw it yesterday with friends and we all loved it! There were several small children there as well and we heard no crying or screaming from the kids to indicate they were scared.

Emma Watson has a beautiful voice. We stayed for the credits at the end and were surprised to see Stanley Tucci played one of the characters!

Honored Contributor

A 4 yr old is too young for a PG movie, in  my opinion.

@bmorechick wrote:

I wanted to take my 4 year old grandaughter, but a friend of mine said oh no way. She took her 7 year old daughter and she was so frightened of the beast and the dark theme that they had to leave the movie. I know my grandaughter doesn't do monsters or threatening characters, so the new version is out for us. I actually saw a trailer for it and thought twice about it. Guess thats why it has the PG rating instead of G. And she was so looking forward to seeing "the princess".

Honored Contributor

I love the animated movie and saw the broadway show. It was excellent. I hope it doesn't disappoint. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it looks good and will likely see it, but I still haven't seen the live action Cinderella yet either, or Maleficent.  I guess I'm just frustrated with all the remakes these days.  I grew up on Disney animated movies and absolutely LOVE them all, but I feel like they are true classics as many movies are, and I really dislike them constantly being remade.  I get it, I'm sure it brings in big bucks for the studios and it is a business after all, but I'm just tired of the lack of creative vision for movies across the board.  Lately everything is a remake, a sequel, or based on a book.  Where is the originality?  That thing that made those classic movies in the first place?  Movies like the Disney films, Ghostbusters, Goonies, etc should be left alone in their glory.  Are they going to remake E.T next?

FYI - I saw this clip today that highlights the next 19 Disney Classics that they are turning into live action features.  Really????

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/popculture/disney-is-remaking-19-of-its-classic-cartoons-as-live-acti...

Honored Contributor

Just saw it tonight!!!!  It was great!!!

Beauty and the Beast was always my favorite animated movie when the kids were little, and this remake follows the original Disney movie completely.  There are two (I think) additional minor songs that are new, but the rest is just about the same.  All the actors did a wonderful job!

Respected Contributor

I saw it today in 3D just because we didn't want to wait 30 more minutes for a regular viewing.   It was good and my friend and I both enjoyed it.  There was a lot of singing in it so I am not sure that boys would enjoy it that much.   I thought Emma was fine as Belle.  I still think I prefer the cartoon version though.

Honored Contributor

Saw it yesterday at an I-MAX.  It was MAGICAL.  INCREDIBLE.  WONDERFUL.

There were no children crying or even acting up, they were entranced.  I think it's suitable for boys as well as girls and there were young boys behind us.

Emma Watson was wonderful, Emma Thompson, Luke Evans as Gaston, Stanley Tucci, Audra McDonald.  Dan Stevens was just okay as the beast and only slightly better after he turned back into a prince.

For Downton Abbey fans, you already know Dan Stevens/Matthew is the beast.  Maybe you don't know  Lily James (Rose) played Cinderella and Sophia McSheara (Daisy) played one of the stepsisters.  I loved Cinderella but Beauty and the Beast, no comparison, BATB is next level filmmaking.

The only thing all four of us agreed on was the new scene in Paris was not good, nor were the new songs, and worst of all was Celine Dion.  It should have ended with Audra and Emma Thompson, one or both, singing BATB.  Celine Dion had no place in that movie!

SEE IT IN 3-D.  Not every movie works great in 3-D.  This one does, spectacularlly.

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

The only thing all four of us agreed on was the new scene in Paris was not good, nor were the new songs, and worst of all was Celine Dion.  It should have ended with Audra and Emma Thompson, one or both, singing BATB.  Celine Dion had no place in that movie!

SEE IT IN 3-D.  Not every movie works great in 3-D.  This one does, spectacularlly.

LOL - I actually liked the additional scene in Paris and the backstory for Belle and her father.

i admit I must have been turning on my iPhones but I missed Celine singing!  Not sure why she was needed either - don't they also have John Legend and another younger singer singing in the credits (sorry, sick and mind is fuzzy!). How many versions do you need!!

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego, I absolutely loved John Legend with Arianna Grande.  Still would not have minded a bit if they left it to Audra and Emma. 

The new song sung by Celine Dion ("How Can a Moment Last Forever") is pure Oscar bait because none of the other songs are eligible.  And I don't like the song and I don't like her and wish they had stuck with the theme song in the credits.