Honored Contributor

Re: Just caught Hoda on t.v.

@qualitygal

I worked in publishing for years and Strunk and White, The Elements of Style was always my guide, I have bolded the author's name to make it stand out 

PS White is EB White the writer of Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox, bet that was a cool job.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

So italics weren't used? I knew exactly what the OP meant when she posted the title of the book by Hoda - and plan to pre-order it through B&N. Sounds like a must-read to the little ones! Thanks for the heads-up. 

I try to refrain from correcting another person's English, spelling, punctuation, etc., here as I make my share of mistakes (and huge ones) as well, but for someone who is frequently guilty of misspelling and omitted punctuation as the person who reminded the OP of italics, I felt obligated to defend the person who did not put the book title in italics.  

Everyone knew what was referenced and we are all adults and able to read.  I have also skimmed over something and missed the fine points.  We all do but to be treated like an elementary school child and reminded that we must do it in italics is demeaning. 

Don't be so eager to remind others of silly, common English mistakes when you are as guilty as the rest of us, especially when we read things such as this:  I worked in publishing for years and Strunk and White.   Well, did you both strunk and white?  What is strunking and whiting? 

I would have never posted this but I felt obligated on behalf of the poster who was providing good information about the book, not a class on italics, underlining and bold.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Like so many other mothers, I cherish the memories of all the book-reading time I had with my children.  These memories help make up the fabric of the best years of my life.  

The book recommended by the OP would be one I'd choose to read to them if we were all still back in the time-frame of those treasured moments.  Thank you for posting, Quality Gal.

Trusted Contributor

This book can be preordered for release in March 2018 on Amazon. Very pricey, $18.99 plus whatever. Wonder how many pages it is? 12-15, if at that? 

Honored Contributor

Mo money, mo money, mo money.....lol    Honestly, I don't buy celebrity children's books.  They have enough money.  I'd rather support an author who is a real author or children's books.  

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if Hoda is keeping the proceeds or donating to a charity.

She is a woman who is always smiling and really seems to enjoy her life.

Honored Contributor

Not that I did not buy all the important books in my children's lives, but I am getting the idea from this thread that people don't use the library much anymore.  

Books from the library are free.  You can read anything you wish that is on the shelves.

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76

I agree. When I take my son into our local library for books for his reading log it is almost completely empty. Hardly anyone goes there anymore.

I can see some of the smaller libraries closing in the future. 

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Not that I did not buy all the important books in my children's lives, but I am getting the idea from this thread that people don't use the library much anymore.  

Books from the library are free.  You can read anything you wish that is on the shelves.

My own girls are in the 30's and I was a sahm, we went to the library often and borrowed books but my grandchildren are a year old and honestlly,  I can't envision either of my girls borrowing books from the library for them.  No one would call us germaphobes but the idea of reading books that have passed through heaven only knows how many hands is turn off.    It's easier to build their own libraries by buying books from Amazon or elsewhere online.  My 4 year old niece has had her own Kindle since she was two and she has all of her books, music, games etc on her Kindle.  She goes to the library Saturday mornings for story telling hour and sometimes movies.  Also, many libraries today let readers borrow books electronically.  But I'm not sure if that applies to children's books.