Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Just caught Hoda on t.v.

three cees

That is frightening news.  I remember the great sense of autonomy and pride that my children experienced when they received their very own library card and set about scouring the stacks for books that appealed to them.

Sometimes they could not believe they could haul home as many books as they did.  It was a kind of thrill.  

Our area is known for its dedication to exceptional education ideals, and we were fortunate, back in the '80s and '90s, to have summer reading programs.  They are probably still going on.  I remember that the children received a form on which to record their books (they were to read a certain number during their summer break), and there was a weekly meeting with puppet shows and that sort of thing at the library.  All this was done to encourage reading.

If our libraries die, we will lose a special treasure.   

Honored Contributor

Crystaltree,

I just read your post after posting my latest in response to three cees.

The idea of germs did flash through my mind as I wrote.  It isn't as though I didn't have any misgivings way back then, but it is a different world now.

I just hate to see our library system shrivel up and die.

Respected Contributor

I really like Hoda and Kathy I would rather see them at the 9am hour.

Honored Contributor

I adore Hoda, and I also love Kathie Lee.  I liked Kathie Lee when it wasn't cool to like Kathie Lee--20 years ago.  She's a doll.  Hoda is a sweetie too,  They are so fun to watch and I sometimes DVR their 10 a.m. EST hour!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I like both of them. I think they are classy women. Hoda is so respectful of all the guests and seems like a kind loving woman.

I actually like Kathie Lee more now since I saw how courageous and loving she was after the death of Frank and her Mom.

I like them together...they are the best part of morning TV. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Perkup

Chicago Manual of Style and the Modern Language Association tell us to use italics for all titles of books, newspapers, and magazines. 

Examples:

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark 

Yes, but they also capitalize the first letter of the words in the title.  The OP posts it like a qotation - all small letters, etc. Italics of not, it's still written like a quote.  My senior English teacher would have had a mild stroke and I would have received an F. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

I try to refrain from correcting another person's English, spelling, punctuation, etc., here as I make my share of mistakes (and huge ones) as well, but for someone who is frequently guilty of misspelling and omitted punctuation as the person who reminded the OP of italics, I felt obligated to defend the person who did not put the book title in italics.  

Everyone knew what was referenced and we are all adults and able to read.  I have also skimmed over something and missed the fine points.  We all do but to be treated like an elementary school child and reminded that we must do it in italics is demeaning. 

Don't be so eager to remind others of silly, common English mistakes when you are as guilty as the rest of us, especially when we read things such as this:  I worked in publishing for years and Strunk and White.   Well, did you both strunk and white?  What is strunking and whiting? 

I would have never posted this but I felt obligated on behalf of the poster who was providing good information about the book, not a class on italics, underlining and bold.  

@Nonametoday  here is some information about link---> Strunk and White.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tique wrote:

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

I try to refrain from correcting another person's English, spelling, punctuation, etc., here as I make my share of mistakes (and huge ones) as well, but for someone who is frequently guilty of misspelling and omitted punctuation as the person who reminded the OP of italics, I felt obligated to defend the person who did not put the book title in italics.  

Everyone knew what was referenced and we are all adults and able to read.  I have also skimmed over something and missed the fine points.  We all do but to be treated like an elementary school child and reminded that we must do it in italics is demeaning. 

Don't be so eager to remind others of silly, common English mistakes when you are as guilty as the rest of us, especially when we read things such as this:  I worked in publishing for years and Strunk and White.   Well, did you both strunk and white?  What is strunking and whiting? 

I would have never posted this but I felt obligated on behalf of the poster who was providing good information about the book, not a class on italics, underlining and bold.  

But she did not say she worked in publishing at Strunk and White. She said she worked in publishing and Strunk and White.  That was what I was getting at. So upyou do not have to correct it for me or for her.  I know what it said and that was the point I was making, that she made errors, so not to be correcting others.  I know exactly how it read  because I read it a dozen times before I wrote the note.  I worked as an editor after becoming infirmed, at a time when I could do nothing else but sit, read and correct.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

NameAlreadyTaken ~ Thought I was the only one to notice that! Been in a journalism family for decades. Made me giggle.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@Tique wrote:

But she did not say she worked in publishing at Strunk and White. She said she worked in publishing and Strunk and White.  That was what I was getting at. So upyou do not have to correct it for me or for her.  I know what it said and that was the point I was making, that she made errors, so not to be correcting others.  I know exactly how it read  because I read it a dozen times before I wrote the note.  I worked as an editor after becoming infirmed, at a time when I could do nothing else but sit, read and correct.

@Nonametoday   and @BirkiLady   I thought that was what she was saying when I first read it but I looked again and realized that there is a comma after White - not a period. Read the rest of the sentence.

I worked in publishing for years and Strunk and White, The Elements of Style was always my guide, I have bolded the author's name to make it stand out 

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~