Super Contributor

Just 3 Weeks From Tonight, It's TGIT (Thurs., 09/25)

We'll be two-thirds of the way through the premiere of ABC's TGIT (Thank Goodness It's Thursday) which promises to be a rollercoaster ride of crazy good emotions through Shondaland.

Super producer-creator Shonda Rhimes has locked up the entire ABC primetime schedule on Thursday nights with the S11 return of Grey's Anatomy, the eagerly anticipated fourth season of Scandal and the debut of How To Get Away With Murder.

Yipeee!!! I can't wait!!! I'm turning off the phone and settling in with a soup bowl-sized goblet of my favorite beverage, a gallon of popcorn and chocolate, of course. That's my definition of three hours of total escapism, pure bliss, complete ecstasy! I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Mark your calendars, set an alarm: Thursday, September 25th starting at 8 PM EDT.

Honored Contributor

Re: Just 3 Weeks From Tonight, It's TGIT (Thurs., 09/25)

keri, I know I printed it all out (when each show starts in Sept), but do you have and idea which is actually the FIRST show to start off the new season and what channel?

Just curious.

Super Contributor

Annabelle, it varies by network. Generally Monday of the third week in September (09/23 this year) marks the official start of the new Fall season, with networks going head-to-head.

Some shows delay their start date (e.g. - FOX network entries such as Bones and Glee, to avoid being interrupted by MLB playoffs and the World Series.)

There are always exceptions. DWTS kicks off on Monday, September 15th.

Some syndicated daytime talk shows such as The Doctors and Dr. Oz return next week, while new ones debut. Check your local listings. Here in Metro Atlanta, The Meredith Vieira Show premieres at 2 AM on Tuesday, September 9th on WSB-TV.

Remember that some shows are designated as mid-season/limited run entries, so you won't see them until January 2015. That's the plan unless there's a barrage of bombs and some of September's freshman class of newbies don't make it through mid-October, forcing an early call-up of the replacements. I'm betting that'll be the case with Bad Judge; The Mysteries of Laura and Forever. Despite the presence of outstanding actors such as Kate Walsh and Debra Messing, these shows have the look of losers. If you remember last season, I was right on target with Lucky 7, which had the dubious distinction of garnering the 2013-'14 season's first cancellation; pulled after only 2 weeks.

There's usually an annual Fall Preview TV Guide issue, along with information on the website at tvguide.com. The new issue of Entertainment Weekly, due on newsstands this week, should feature a complete schedule that undoubtedly will also appear on the website, ew.com. Check your Sunday newspaper for extended coverage of the new Fall TV season.

If I find other sites where the actual start dates are listed, I'll post it. Otherwise the best thing for you to do is search the name of the show or go the network's website where you'll clearly see when their shows begin.

***Edited To Add:

Day-by-Day Fall TV Schedule
http://www.tvguide.com/special/fall-preview/fall-schedule.aspx

Fall TV Grid: What's on When? And Versus What?
http://tvline.com/2014/05/11/fall-tv-schedule-2014-network-primetime-grid/

Deadline.com Fall TV Grid 2014 with Top-Face-offs
http://deadline.com/2014/05/2014-15-broadcast-schedule-networks-keep-it-safe-bet-on-lead-ins-730194...

That's a start. I hope it helps.

Trusted Contributor

keri.... I am looking forward to the new one.... How to Get Away With Murder.

Honored Contributor

I am really looking forward to that one too game. I love Viola Davis. You know something I keep remembering and I know it isn't a big deal, it just bothered me because I (I don't use this word a lot) but I adore Viola Davis. She's so underrated as an actress.

She isn't used enough. Her acting, I think is wonderful.