Respected Contributor

Didn't see the movie but saw a movie critic on TV said it is a beautiful tribute to Judy and Renee may be up for an oscar. He said Liza refuses to see it so he told her on TV " Liza, please see this movie it is a very heartwarming tribute to your Mom please see this. That just got to me, I can't wait to see it. 

Honored Contributor

@culebra wrote:

I was lucky enough to see Judy in person in concert with my parents many many years ago.  I was about 12 years old.  She was sensation and a real crown pleaser.  Judy was in her late 30's at that time.  I was astute enough to realize that she was a major talent!

I was disappointed when I heard that Zellweger would do her own singing. I thought a better decision would have been for her to lip sync.

@culebra 

I was just going to say that.  I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I’ve seen the trailer.  I think they should have dubbed Judy’s voice.  Zellweger sounds nothing like her, which may ruin the movie for me.  I’m fine with her as the actress, but not as the singer.

I think Lady Gaga looks more like Judy and would probably sound like her also because her voice is so rich, like Judy’s.  She’s proven herself a good actress as well. JMO 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor
After reading Rex Reed's hilarious review, I feel as if I've seen the movie:

https://www.observer.com/2019/09/judy-movie-review-renee-zellweger-rex-reed/amp/

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

Rex Reed--no comment.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Saw the movie and enjoyed it. I think Renee Z's performance is worthy of an Oscar nomination but I'm not convinced yet she should get the award. Will make that decision closer to Oscar time when I see who else is up for that award.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Esteemed Contributor

I heard its great but sad. I was going to go, but my back went out so Im stuck in the house and cant get steroid shots in my back till Friday a week. I hope its still in when i get my shots because i Want to see it. I also want to see the Joker! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

My sister suggested this movie, so I went with her and a friend on Friday night to see it...

.....I had heard about what the movie studios had done to these child actors back then...I didnt remember too many details about Judy Garland's later life....I remember watching her TV show with my mom as a kid...and I remembered her tragic end....

I thought the movie started out a bit slow in the ..but it also held your attention and I thought Renee Z did a good job and her singing didn't detract from it at all..... 

The critics review that someone posted made a good point..this movie focused on all the difficulties and tragedies and perhaps ignored some good moments in her life that should have been incorporated to give her life story a bit more of a realistic view instead of strictly the sad and depressing moments and her struggles with alcohol and pills as well as her financial difficulties...and love for her children Lorna and Joe....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Renee Zellweger was great!  However the entire film was dark & depressing.  She had a sad life which was reflected in the movie.  I came out a bit depressed and went home to Google Louis B Mayer and how he treated Judy when she was a teen under contract at MGM.  

I thought she was a beautiful girl yet MGM acted as if she was an ugly duckling.  Here she is with Mickey Rooney in 1939  Good Mornin'...same year The wizard of Oz was made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCbnJeMSGZ4

Trusted Contributor

I saw it yesterday, and as most of you have mentioned, it is just so sad. I loved Judy, but didn't remember the other husbands. I thought Renee did a good job on the acting part, but to me, the fact that her voice sounds nothing like the original (nor could anyone's) did detract from it for me. There weren't as many musical numbers and it was more of a dramatic retelling, and she might be nominated for awards (as many people who play other people are), but I never saw Judy when looking at her on the screen. That said, it was a good movie and I am glad I saw it.

Honored Contributor

Here is the JUNE 23, 1969 Los Angeles Times Obituary for Judy. I found it hauntingly interesting.....

https://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/archives/la-me-judy-garland-19690623-story.html