Honored Contributor

Judy starring Renee Zellweger

I rented it last night (On Demand).  You never thought it was Renee.  The talking, different jestures, Renee nailed it.  Her acting was superb.  If she did her own singing, she was very good.  Judy really had a sad life and was given pills as a child actress from the studio so no wonder she was use to taking them.  Congratulations, Renee.  Rest in Peace, Judy.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Judy starring Renee Zellweger

[ Edited ]

Judy Davis also made for a perfect Garland in the HBO movie years ago. In this one they showed her from her hospital bed devastated that she did not win Oscar for A Star is Born. Davis won an Emmy. 

Trusted Contributor

I saw this movie in the theater. I thought Renee was really good in it and I'm glad she won the Oscar.

Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

I have to disagree with previous posters; we rented this and thought it was a "hot mess".  I am old enough to have remembered Judy during this period of her life (during this period she introduced Lisa on one of her t.v. shows).  I usually love Renee but I found her version of Judy distracting and annoying.

Super Contributor

saw this a while back. loved it. i'm of the age i remember judy garland..and i thought rene was spot on.

Honored Contributor

I started a post about this after I watched it on Amazon Prime (or Netflix--not sure which).  I thought Renee Zellweger was great and feel that she deserved the Oscar.

I did not like the movie that much though.  She led such a sad life. It was pretty depressing, and I felt like the movie was slow.  I knew she was an alcoholic and addicted to drugs, but I didn't think that would be what the entire movie was about.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  It's funny, I thought Renee was excellent but the movie itself just did not do it for me.  It's hard to believe that an actress can play the part so well and yet the movie did not deliver.

kindness is strength