Honored Contributor

Joseph Campanella has passed away

I remember him on the Guiding Light as Joe Turino (an artist). His best role was on Ironside as a friend of  Ironside and a narcotic. They were both so very good. It was in Season 3 and titled The Happy Dreams of Hollow Men. This is also the only episode in which Don Galloway does not appear.

I also thought he was great on Mannix.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Joseph Campanella has passed away

[ Edited ]

I remember him as Anne's husband on One Day at a Time.

Love that show.

Lived to age 93. Wow!

Respected Contributor

I knew he must have had other acting jobs but I knew him from a series called "What will they think of next".  A science type show that aside from the features had a sort of "minute mystery/ pop quiz" segment where viewers were given scenarios like where to park a space shuttle on an orbital satalite when all the horizontal dimenton berths were full.  the answer was to use a vertical berth that could fit the required dimentions. ( no gravity to stop you docking that way.)  Made you think out of the box.  It was a fun show and he had a great voice.  God speed to him.

Honored Contributor

He was also Harper Devereaux on Days of Our Lives in the late 80's, and he guest starred on Golden Girls with an unknown very young George Clooney, they were cops who set up a stakeout in the girls home.

Honored Contributor

"Campanella is the younger brother of fellow actor Frank Campanella, who died in 2007. He was born in New York City and attended Columbia University before moving to Hollywood. He is survived by Jill Campanella, his wife of 53 years, as well as his seven sons and eight grandchildren."

Honored Contributor

Love seeing him recur on so many 60's and 70's favorite shows of mine, including "The Fugitive" and "Mannix".   He was an excellent journeyman actor.   Had a very "real" quality that came through on screen...

By the way, @Nancy Drew, I LOVED "Bob's Big Boy."  Whenever we used to visit my uncle in Tucson, or my cousins in Orange County, a first stop would be "Bob's" for burgers.  Terrific memory.

If I had ever seen Joseph Campanella in a Bob's Big Boy, I would have fallen over.  Lucky you!

Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I remember him on the Guiding Light as Joe Turino (an artist). His best role was on Ironside as a friend of  Ironside and a narcotic. They were both so very good. It was in Season 3 and titled The Happy Dreams of Hollow Men. This is also the only episode in which Don Galloway does not appear.

Is he the guy that sells stuff on QVC?   or was just the actor?

Respected Contributor

That's too bad. When I was a kid, I remember watching What Will They Think of Next? in reruns on Nickelodeon. It was a Canadian science show that ran there in the late 70s and was broadcast in the US on Nickelodeon in the early 80s.

Respected Contributor

The name is familiar and I can picture his face, but I can't remember anything he was in.  Maybe a guest star on various shows?  

Honored Contributor

@mishka14 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Is he the guy that sells stuff on QVC?   or was just the actor?

@mishka14  Actor.