Honored Contributor

Re: Johnny Mathis -- last night

I bought tickets for his Romance Tour in Tampa 1/18/18 and without thinking I booked a cruise for 1/14/18....I love him (saw him 2 years ago was just like the 1st time 40 yrs ago🙂).

Im thinking of changing my cruise date I hate to miss him!

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

You must have your dates mixed up. Johnny is not booked to be in Tampa in 2018 at all yet. So, I hope you went on your cruise! Smiley Happy He was in West Palm Beach and Clearwater last week. I go to all John's concerts. He was in Clearwater on the 12th. Could you have meant that?

I live in John's Hollywood Hills neighborhood, have known him all my life. When I was a little kid, I fell off my bike into his palm trees, and he, himself came out, picked me up, and carried me into his house and took care of my scramped knees and elbows. When he found out I was a voice student, he became "Uncle John" to me, then, as I got older, a dear, dear friend. I write a blog about him with many photos that are from my personal collection. He is the gentlest, kindest, most loving man on earth. I love John!

Honored Contributor

@corita   Why the old thread?

Honored Contributor

LOL

Honored Contributor

What a coincidence this "old" thread has been brought current again.  Yesterday I couldn't get one of his songs out of my head, so I retrieved his two CDs from my collection and played them over and over again.  I realized there was not one song on those CDs that I did not know all the words to . . . and "sang" along with him the entire time.

There are times when only a Johnny Mathis song will do.

I've seen the PBS special several times.  When he sings "Misty," and his voice comes out of the music with "on my own" . . . drawn out like an instrument, it gives me chills and sometimes tears.  The audience gave him a standing ovation right in the middle of the song!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@corita   Why the old thread?

----------------

?????
Interestingly, I did not bring this thread up again.

It is an old thread of mine from last August!!

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I brought it up because someone mentioned the date 1/18/18, and he or she said he had tickets for a Mathis concert on that date. As someone who lives in Mathis' neighborhood and travels with him, I wanted to let the poster know there is no Johnny Mathis concert in Tampa - or any place else - on 1/18/18! There is no Mathis concert till 1/25/18, and that is in New Orleans.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Guess What! - Johnny Mathis was on TV last night. He was on the Ed Sullivan Show on Decades. Not sure where they were, it was a huge venue. And Johnny Mathis, Hershel Bernardi, Shirley Jones, John Davidson, Lennon Sisters, Minnie Pearl and a female singer (I forgot her name) were all on. They did lots of different songs from King and I, Oklahoma etc.

Johnny Mathis was I am guessing in his 30s. He sounded wonderful. And Shirley Jones really impressed me. She sang Shall We Dance from King and I. She was not only singing but dancing across the stage with Hershel Bernardi. 

It was fun to watch. They seemed to be enjoying themselves.

New Contributor

It was filmed in New York, either at studio 51 or studio 50, which is now the Ed Sullivan Theater. I think John's first appearance was at studio 51, and that was live. John was in his late-20s then. But he made several appearances on the show.

Honored Contributor

@LilyWhite wrote:

It was filmed in New York, either at studio 51 or studio 50, which is now the Ed Sullivan Theater. I think John's first appearance was at studio 51, and that was live. John was in his late-20s then. But he made several appearances on the show.

It was Episode 24.10 and aired November 22, 1970.