Respected Contributor

Re: Johnny Depp Not in Next Pirates Film

I read he filmed a role last year where his character is a college professor diagnosed with a terminal illness ("Richard Says Goodbye" ).  Johnny seems like a Method actor, and probably did something similar to what Matthew McConaughey did for his role as a person with AIDS in "Dallas Buyers Club."  It took awhile -- more than a year -- before Matthew McConaughey looked healthy again. Also, I think Johnny without his usual facial hair makes a difference. 

Below is a pic of Johnny around the same time as the other pic someone else posted of him in this thread.  He doesn't look as unhealthy in the pic below, as he does in the other pic in this thread. He may not look "great," and he does look thin and pale, but not as sickly as in the other pic. 

Image result for johnny depp fugly

Related image

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Esteemed Contributor

@TY wrote:

Johnny Depp looks ill. I wonder if Disney couldn't get the movie insured - maybe Depp can't pass a physical at this time?

Depp is attached to Disney’s Fantastic Beasts franchise, so I would think/hope that’s not the case.  The 2nd film is coming out next month and I read there are expected to be 5 total. Of course, he’s not the star of those movies.

I think he’s either getting a little too old for the role or Disney just wants to imagine the series in another way. Maybe grittier vs comedy.

Esteemed Contributor

Depp's Sparrow character was my favorite in that series.  I wonder if they will replace other actors (like Orlando Bloom) as they work to reboot it.  

Honored Contributor

We have a guy in our neighborhood who built a pirate ship and does kids birthday parties dressed like Sparrow. He even has his own parrot and a few other fun-but-not-scary things for the kids. Waiting no list to book him for a party....I am certain he is f,ying well under Disney's radar!
Respected Contributor

Johnny Depp, who developed his ideas for the character, had strong ideas about Jack's attitude and appearance. He modeled a large part of Jack Sparrow after Keith Richards , saying that "Pirates were the rock stars of their day."

When asked about the inspiration for his role of Jack Sparrow, Johnny Depp answered: “I started thinking about pirates in the 18th century. How they were the rock and roll stars of that time. I thought: who is the greatest rock and roll star of all time? For me it was Keith Richards.” He based the world famous role on the Rolling Stones guitarist. “[Jack Sparrow] is memory of who he is, the way he behaves, the kind of disgrace, arrogance and wisdom that he has, that I admire.”

Related image

Related image