Honored Contributor

Re: Johnny Depp/Amber Heard defamation trial

Interesting article I found.......

Amber Heard didn’t want Johnny Depp to pay $100 million. She wanted to send a message

May 28, 2022

The legal teams of Johnny Depp and Amber Heard held their closing arguments against each other in the libel cases of the former couple on Friday. 

Amber Heard isn’t really asking for the $100 million she’s suing Johnny Depp for. Her lawyer said Friday that they were simply asking for that amount to send a message to the “Pirates of the Caribbean” star, after he asked for half that amount when he sued her for defamation.

That information came in a Virginia courtroom Friday as legal teams for the former spouses recorded their closing arguments in their dueling defamation cases.

“Johnny Depp has filed a lawsuit for $50 million, and we sent a message back saying, ‘Okay, then we’re going to sue for $100 million, because look what you did to her.’ We’re not asking you to give $100 million,” attorney Elaine Bredehoft told the jury, speaking of compensatory damages. “We ask that you look only at the damages in this case and be fair and reasonable in whatever you determine. .”

The case, which began April 11 in Fairfax, Virginia, went to jury Friday afternoon. While Depp’s side portrays the case as a matter of regaining his life and reputation, Heard’s side has argued that it is a First Amendment case about the right to tell one’s own story.

Hearing attorney Benjamin Rottenborn opened the defendant’s closing arguments by warning the jurors about the message they would send to victims of domestic violence if they found in Depp’s favor.

“If you didn’t take pictures, it didn’t happen. If you did take pictures, they’re fake. If you didn’t tell your friends, you’re lying. If you did tell your friends, they’re part of the hoax. If you didn’t get medical help, you weren’t hurt. If you got medical help, you’re crazy,” Rottenborn said.

“If you do everything you can to help your spouse, the person you love, get rid of the crushing drug and alcohol abuse that turns him into a violent, raging monster, you’re a nag. And if you finally decide enough is enough, you’ve had enough of the fear, enough of the pain and you have to leave to save yourself, you’re a gold digger.”

Rottenborn called the case “victim accusation at its most disgusting.” He also played the infamous video of Depp wandering around a kitchen, slamming cabinet doors, pouring himself a large glass of wine, and getting angry when he realized Heard was recording his actions.

‘Who does that? Who does that?’ Rottenborn asked the judges. “Imagine your husband, the person you love, behaving so violently. Like a wild animal. That’s assault. That’s assault.”

Those statements came after Depp’s lawyers claimed he was the actual victim in the relationship.

“There is an abuser in this courtroom, but it is not Mr. Depp,” said attorney Camille Vasquez. “And there’s a domestic violence victim in this courtroom, but it’s not Mrs. Heard.”

Later, Vasquez painted the team’s allegations against Heard more clearly. “Mrs. Heard lied,” she said. “And she lied again. And she kept lying.’

Heard allegedly lied, Vasquez said when she asked for the temporary restraining order in 2016, when she said she donated her entire $7 million divorce settlement to charity and when she wrote to the 2018 Washington Post what Depp’s case is all about. (The case is being argued in Virginia because the state is home to the news station’s servers.)

“She’s come too far. She can’t back down. She’s lied to too many people too many times,” Vasquez said. “So when Mr. Depp finally decided to fight to clear his name by filing this lawsuit, Ms. Heard responded by making up more and more stories of increasingly extreme abuse. She came up with a new allegation that Mr. Depp had raped her. with a bottle in Australia, and she continues to make new claims even now.”

After listing the 16 witnesses who stood up for Depp in person or via live video, including ex-girlfriend Kate Moss, the Depp team later said that except for Heard’s sister, Whitney Henriquez, “no one showed up for Ms. Heard in this courtroom” other than witnesses who were paid to testify. Heard’s team presented his case largely via pre-recorded video footage.

Depp attorney Ben Chew, during his turn before the jury, categorized the case as “the unique and unique #MeToo case in which there is no ‘me too'” unlike any other woman who came forward to impeach Depp. accuse of abuse in the same way.

Chew also noted that after the #MeToo movement hit in 2017, producers knew better than to hire someone accused of abuse, implying that Heard’s 2018 op-ed had placed Depp in a category he didn’t belong — a category which reportedly cost him tens of millions of dollars in acting.

Rottenborn returned in his rebuttal to remind the jury how Heard’s career had allegedly suffered following comments from former Depp attorney Adam Waldman. “Studios like her. Co-stars like her. She tests well. But she doesn’t get a chance because of the negativity associated with Mr. Depp and Mr. Waldman,” he said.

Judge Penney Azcarate — who began Friday reading the jury’s instructions on how to decide the case — had strongly hinted the day before that the jury should not argue every day after dinner and instructed them to decide how. let them return to the deliberations after the Monday break.

In Virginia, a seven-member civil jury must reach a unanimous verdict. In this case, the jury will review the defamation claims for both actors simultaneously. It is not clear when the ruling will be made, although it could presumably happen next week.

SOURCE:  L.A. Times

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac - No, of course, Amber Heard didn't want $100,000,000.  She "wanted to send a message".

And that "message" is "I'm desperate here!  I can't back out of all these lies, so I'll make some even more outrageous ones up to show you what a monster he is.  I didn't think accusing him of being an abuser would backfire and affect my career, I just thought it would ruin his.  So, please, please, please find him guilty of at least one tale that I've spun for you.  Please???  I'm trying really hard to squeeze out a few tears here.  Help me out!"

Oh, and, "tough to all you real survivors of domestic abuse!"

Disgusting human being and I repeat what I said much earlier.  I'm very worried for that poor little baby that she had by surrogate.

Respected Contributor

Johnny Depp has remarkable talent. 

Jeff Beck and Johnny Depp - Isolation [Official Music Video] 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA_trAwSP00

Jeff Beck, one of music’s great collaborators, has once-again found an unexpected co-conspirator in Johnny Depp. The musical soulmates have released their first single as a duo, a re-imagining of John Lennon’s classic track “Isolation.”

Johnny Depp, Jeff Beck Share Video for Cover of Lennon's 'Isolation' -  Rolling Stone

Johnny Depp and Jeff Beck deliver a searing rendition of John Lennon's “Isolation” in the new video for their recently released cover of the 1970 song.
Respected Contributor

Someone mentioned this youtube channel and I found this. I hadn't heard all the details of what happened. Recap..

FRAUD UPON THE COURT!! Amber Heard Caught LYING & CHEATING! Furious Judge  BANS Amber's Girlfriend! - YouTubePopcorned Planet YouTube:

FRAUD UPON THE COURT!! Amber Heard Caught LYING & CHEATING! Furious Judge BANS Amber's Girlfriend!(Eve Barlow)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPTAMwe6sEY

Day 4 of the trial came in with a surprise and a Culture Journalist and long time supporter of Amber Heard, Eve Barlow was excluded from the trial and was ordered to stay out of it for the rest of the remaining trial. 

The court's decision to ban Barlow came after she was reportedly caught texting and tweeting from the front row of the courtroom.

Amber's legal team supposedly "did not know" that Barlow had her cellphone during court but she literally hands the lawyer her phone with false evidence! (caught on camera)

Barlow showed Rottenborn an Instagram post by Depp's witness, Gina Deuters, which is dated from January 2021. However it was presented to Judge Azcarate as if it were from the current defamation trial.

During her testimony, Deuters recalled Depp and Heard's wedding in 2015. She claimed to have been offered drugs by Heard. However, the jurors were then told to leave the room as Heard's lawyers requested a conference with Judge Azacarte.

Trusted Contributor

Two sick individuals would not wast my time.If people lived as they do,their world is not for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover   Thanks for the link.  Holy cow is there anything Johnny can't do???  What talent and determination for where he came from. 

Valued Contributor

Johnny Depp and Amber Heard’s Defamation Trial, Explained
By Claudia Rosenbaum

"Seven years after Amber Heard first accused Johnny Depp of assaulting her, Heard and Depp will come face-to-face with each other in a Virginia courtroom over allegations that Heard defamed Depp; he is suing her for $50 million over a 2018 Washington Post op-ed she wrote titled “Opinion: Amber Heard: I spoke up against sexual violence — and faced our culture’s wrath. That has to change".
----------------------------------------------------------------------

My Opinion:
Amber said it wasn't about him, but on the stand, on rebuttal, she admitted that it was about Johnny, so IMO, she proved his case right there. I believe him when he testified that he never hit her. He was the one who was abused.
__There's a lot more I could say, but I won't at this point.

LESA

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Venezia  I'm watching the Steven Crowley interview on  "Popcorned Planet" now. Thank you for your post.

ETA: Great interview.

Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lesa - If only Depp's team had known about these people and could've subpoenaed them to testify to prove what a liar she is.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

She probably wishes she had never started all of this.