Esteemed Contributor

Re: Johnny Depp/Amber Heard defamation trial

[ Edited ]

This civil trial has 7 jurors and 4 alternates.

Virginia Civil Court juries are generally 5, but go to 7 when the damages being sought exceed certain thresholds,  as this one clearly does.

Fairfax, Va. (Court TV) — A panel of 7 jurors and 4 alternates was selected to hear the $50 million dollar defamation case that actor Johnny Depp is bringing against his ex-wife Amber Heard, who is countersuing with her own defamation claim seeking $100 million in damages.

Respected Contributor

Time Limits: Judge Tells Depp And Heard How Much Time They Have Left To Make Their Cases

(6 May) Judge Penney Azcarate informed each side of the time they've used and how much they have left.

Cathy Russon, an Executive Producer at Law&Crime, a network where the trial is being broadcast, tweeted: "This is NOT a thing that happens in state court/criminal court."

Russon reports that 'Depp: used 35 hrs 6 mins' and has 26 hrs 9 min left'.

While 'Heard used 36 hrs 31 mins and has 24 hrs 44 mins left'.

Respected Contributor

Amber Heard's former personal assistant, Kate James, claimed that she told the model-actor about a violent sexual assault she had endured, only for Heard to "twist" the story for her own use.

July 12, 2020

Second witness statement from Kate James.

https://www.nickwallis.com/_files/ugd/5df505_66782002281f423385cf471bd011aeb9.pdf

Honored Contributor

@daisy4 - No one should attack you for believing either side.

Personally, I don't confuse Depp with his on screen persona.  There have been many other cases like this, where I absolutely believed the woman or women.  (No other woman is coming forward with such claims.)

In this case, I don't.  Depp has never tried to conceal his many bouts of rehab or his addiction issues.  His testimony has never changed.

Heard, however, has changed and embellished her stories the longer this has gone on.

Depp has had other witnesses to back up the incidents in question.  Heard, on the other hand, has produced no one, with the exception of the paid forensic psychologist.  It remains to be seen, if anyone else comes forward on the witness stand to back up her claims.  Otherwise, it's simply "she said" and a few photos that we can't even be assured are legitimate.  She has also been arrested in the past for domestic violence.

We also have her on tape (more than once) verbally abusing him and admitting to hitting him and provoking a physical fight.  She also shouted at him to go ahead and "walk away" that that's what he "always does".

I remain firmly in Depp's camp.  But the jury will make the ultimate decision.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I, too, believe Amber thoroughly.   I find that she has great credibility,  and usually in these cases I do not fall lockstep into the female's story as do so many.

Johnny certainly has endeared himself to his legion of lady fans.

@Johnnyeager - I would only ask how you square the violent beatings she says she endured at his hand, with why there are no photos of the injuries that must surely have resulted and no medical records of them?

She's so far (to my knowledge) produced a photo of a small bruise on her arm (I end up with those by bumping into something).  And the ones she showed of her face in the last day of testimony.  She says they were inflicted by him during a fight - but again, "she said".

IMO only, no one who's in the public eye like that could conceal what must have been so many injuries or had no medical treatment.  The way she described one episode, she would surely have had broken ribs.

The times she says he kept "punching and punching" her in the face?  Her face would've been a bloody mess at best and taken a very long time to heal.

And the alleged broken nose?  No medical treatment?  A plastic surgeon has gone on record to describe anything he thinks she's "had done" and it doesn't include treatment for that.  (I would add that I've watched all of her testimony and it seems she's claiming he broke her nose twice in different incidents.  Yet it remains perfectly straight without medical intervention?)

It's all the inconsistencies I find not believable.

I do, however, appreciate hearing the other side from those who disagree.

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover - Thanks for posting that link.  Even more evidence she's lying.

Esteemed Contributor

If Amber was pummeled and beaten as much as she has claimed, where are more pics, Drs reports, hospital visits, police reports, etc.  When there were police reports, they were all dismissed. 

I don't think anyone could go thru as much as she is claiming without more evidence and more physical scars.  She claims "he just kept hitting me in the head".  The skin can only take so much before breaking open and bleeding.  How about a concusion?  No report of that.  The one pic I saw could have been done with makeup.  I just don't believe her.

Respected Contributor

I have been watching it on Fox Nation..... The trial won't resume until May 16th...  closing arguments expected before Memorial Holiday.....

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 - Exactly.  And the photo of her pointing to some hair on the carpet as evidence of him pulling it out?

Why not a photo of her damaged scalp?  She claims to have called someone about possible concussion.  But anyone can say anything over the phone, can't they?

If she had photos of the horrendous damage to her face, body, scalp, that would be a different story altogether.

Oddly enough, he does have photos of his injuries and witnesses as to how they were inflicted.  Hmmm.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Amber Heard Testifies About a 'Pattern' of Violence by Johnny Depp - The  New York Times

Check this out..MovieWeb: Aquaman Video Teases Amber Heard's Fight Training as Mera.

PUBLISHED APR 02, 2017

Amber Heard posted a brief new video showcasing her fighting skills, as she continues her training for Aquaman. 

Amber Heard Workout - Training For Mera in Aquaman | Pop Workouts

Heard posted a training photo where she was seen practicing with a fake sword, revealing that she was being trained by accomplished martial artist Li Jing.

Amber Heard practice martial art #shorts #viral #ytshorts - YouTube

YouTube: Amber Heard practice martial art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnAP0USrwS4

Amber Heard shows off killer moves training for Justice League | Daily Mail  Online

YouTube: Amber Heard shows off Mera’s fight moves in ‘Aquaman’ training video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc6cyNj5dGw