Trusted Contributor

Re: Johnny Depp/Amber Heard defamation trial

There would not include in an abused spouse a group of persons as testified to by Depp as being those who who could handle such situations. Obviously, he thought he was covered. Obviously, he was not.

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

There would not include in an abused spouse a group of persons as testified to by Depp as being those who who could handle such situations. Obviously, he thought he was covered. Obviously, he was not.

@FLgardener - So you think this "group of persons" would be with them every second of every minute of every hour of every day?  Even in their most private moments?  No one has staff around them all the time, not even Mr. Depp.  That's totally unrealistic and he's never claimed that.

How many times, when a person is finally acknowledged as having been abused, do people who knew them well say "I had no idea."

You're trying to make things too simple.  It's not.  There's mental abuse, as well as physical, and often the mental abuse is the worse.

Esteemed Contributor

No idea why this is being covered. Don't care really.  Watched for a few minutes and shut it off.  

Respected Contributor

Duh -- Why are Johnny and Amber dressing alike?

Trusted Contributor

Today, a video was shown of JD kicking and punching things in his kitchen. He is totally dysfunctional. I don't know what part, if any, AH played, but Depp acts like an alcoholic. A raging one in the video.
Respected Contributor

Why should this trial be on tv.  Ridiculous to me and lots of couples go thru this and not on tv. 

Trusted Contributor

I can't stand either one of them. I also can't believe Fox News is showing it live and that anyone is that interested in watching it.  I have never been a fan of a Johnny Depp...he always seems dirty and in need of serious hygiene care. I know little about Amber Heard, other than she is an actress. From what I keep hearing on the news, they both sound deranged and made for each other. Deep seems to enjoy trashing her on national tv, and she will get her chance to reciprocate as well. An attorney says this whole thing should be three different trials. I would hate to be on that jury! 

Respected Contributor

I don't have any sympathy for either one of these two famous people, who must have been in love at some point.  He loved her enough to propose marriage and begin their lives together.  She was beautiful, he was too cool for school, they travelled the world, made a ton of $$$ - they had it all, yet they managed to blow it - bigtime.

I would think he wouldn't want this dragged out on TV or in the press.  I think this will do his career more harm than good, and I'm not sure if she still has a career in movies.  But he chose to do this, so be it.  This is one trial in which I'm really not concerned about any type of verdict.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Trusted Contributor

I've only seen just tidbits of this trial when it's shown on the local nightly news when JD is on the stand, he is such a slow talker, fast forward please!

Respected Contributor

How Did Johnny Depp and Amber Heard Meet? The Trial Reveals First Movie Set Interactions

Johnny Depp and Amber Heard are at the forefront of the entertainment conversation. They’re both accomplished actors, but they aren’t getting the type of positive attention that they would prefer. Depp revealed during the trial how he came to meet Heard and what their interactions were like on the movie set of The Rum Diary.

Johnny Depp says Amber Heard 'got into his head' after The Rum Diary - so  he married her - Mirror Online

The Rum Diary

Depp and Heard’s 2015 marriage only lasted less than two years. She filed for divorce in May 2016, but that was only the beginning. Heard followed the MeToo movement and wrote an op-ed alleging that Depp abused her. The most recent lawsuit roots back to her article, as he’s suing his ex-wife for defamation.

As a result of the op-ed, Depp’s career took a serious hit. Mads Mikkelsen replaced him in Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore as Gellert Grindelwald, which was only the beginning. Depp and Heard’s relationship ultimately harmed both of their careers, but they have loyal followings that believe their star is innocent.

The Law&Crime Network YouTube channel posted a segment from the Depp and Heard trial, where he explained how he met his now ex-wife.

The story goes back to 2008, when Depp helped journalist and author Hunter Thomas go through his manuscripts. There, Depp found The Rum Diary, and the pair decided to make a movie adaptation.

Unfortunately, Thomas died, but Depp knew exactly where the author wanted to take the story for the silver screen, so he proceeded with the project. He brought writer/director Bruce Robinson out of his 27-year retirement to write the screenplay and direct the movie.

Depp and Robinson moved forward with the audition process, where they used Thompson’s ideas of how he wanted the characters to be on-screen. The actor explained that they didn’t only audition well-known names for the part of Chenault, but also up-and-coming stars.

“One of the things that Hunter was very against was ‘stunt casting,’ that is to say put a bunch of very famous people in a movie and we’ll let them go and hope for the money in the end,” Depp explained.

Robinson approached Depp with Heard, who the filmmaker auditioned five times prior. However, he wasn’t so sure that she’d be the best fit, so he wanted the actor’s opinion on the matter. Depp agreed to meet Heard.

“He wasn’t sure about her capabilities as an actress with regard to the film, the character, and taking direction,” Depp said. “So, he asked me if I would read with her for the film. I had already met a number of actresses and so what I said to Mr. Robinson, ‘Bruce, if you’ve auditioned her five times, you’ve seen the best and the worst, I suppose.”

Depp decided to meet with Heard to see her behavior and how she reacts in the moment. They continued with this meeting in the actor’s office, but it was clear that she was right for the part.

“I took one look at her, and I thought, ‘Yeah, that’s the Chenault that Hunter wants,'” Depp recalled. “‘That’s the one.’ I just thought, ‘She could definitely kill me. That’s what Hunter wants.’”

Depp described her as “sweet as pie, pleasant, intelligent, literate, very good taste.” However, he discussed his reservations about her ability to pull off the role. As a result, he recommended her films, such as To Have and Have Not, to learn the importance of “stillness.”

The next question explored Depp’s interactions with Heard on the set of The Rum Diary. He recalled that they had “mostly very few interactions.” Even when Depp wasn’t in a scene, he was around the set because he was one of the producers of the movie.

Depp further described the interaction of working with Heard on a scene in a nightclub. The sequence features her drunkenly dancing with a local man, who is also drunk. Other men close in on her, which is when the screenplay required nudity from Heard. However, the actor wanted to make sure that she was OK with it.

“I would check in on Ms. Heard and say, ‘Are you all right?,'” Depp recalled. “‘Are you sure you’re OK?’ She was like, ‘No, I’m fine.'”

However, he had the idea that they didn’t need to include nudity after all. As the crowd closes in on her, she could simply hold her bra above the crowd. As a result, the implied nudity never required Heard to take off her clothes.

“I remember telling Ms. Heard, ‘Hey, you don’t have to take your clothes off,'” Depp said. “‘You don’t have to take your top off. Everything’s cool.’ She was appreciative but other than that, we didn’t really have much interaction.”

Depp did remember the one scene that initially started their entire romantic relationship. The scene finds Depp’s character taking a shower and Heard’s character opening the shower, where they kiss. Depp concluded about kissing Heard: “That moment felt like something that I shouldn’t be feeling.”

~Showbiz cheatsheet