Valued Contributor

Re: Johnny Carson show on Antenna TV

@Shelbelle wrote:

Speaking of Hope and Carson, very interesting.    https://people.com/tv/bob-hope-was-johnny-carsons-worst-tonight-show-guest/

---

Interesting article. I was never a fan of Bob Hope. I admire and respect him for the years of work he did with the USO and Armed Forces Radio.

He also was a loyal friend to Rosemary Clooney over the years, especially during a dark period in her life and career. He and his wife Dolores even came all the way to St. Patrick's in Maysville for her funeral. It was actually Dolores who remained the close personal friend to Ms. Clooney over many years.

Those are the nice things I can say about him. I never thought he was funny.

Respected Contributor

Johnny Carson , Ed Mcmahon (sp?)and Bob Hope were masters at their crafts. 

I flip by the shows sometimes. What really makes me laugh are the set decorations in some years --avocado & gold everywhere and shag carpet ! The fashions show how everthing old is new again. I see a lot of off of the shoulder styles cold shoulder that has been so 'cutting edge' the last few years. Smiley Happy

I am so thankful that showing smoking became against public standards. I usually turn the channel on those old shows . Sad that it was allowed.

Respected Contributor

It was rumored Ed McMahon once appeared inebriated on the Tonight Show.  Back in the 70s people turned a blind eye to drinking and smoking. It was common place to have an ashtray on the desk.  It was a care free era.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Diva on The Q wrote:

I remember watching Johnny Carson way back when. The show was very funny and entertaining. It was must-see TV in our house.

Watching it today has a tinge of sadness. Everyone is dead.

@Reever  Not you...or me. But seriously, I understand what you’re saying. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 WE were watching that show on Johnny with the hatchet throw.  I laughed SO hard and for so long.  Gee that was funny.

Honored Contributor

Johnny was at his best when hosting the tonight show. The rest of the time he was a mean spirited alcoholic. I saw him give a fairly candid interview on 60 Minutes, but he preferred not to talk about what made him tick.

Respected Contributor

I don't get Antenna TV that I know of.  Wish I did.  I'd watch Johnny too.

It was almost like a variety hour because the guests were not just famous people, he had up n coming comedians, normal folk who did strange things that were funny.

Anyone remember the older woman who collected potato chips that were in the shapes of animals and other known items?  She was showing some of her prized chips to Johnny and all of a sudden he throws a chip in his mouth and begins munching down on it?  The lady just about had a heart attack that he ate one of her prized chips.

He actually had a bowl of regular potato chips behind him and snuck one of the regular chips in his mouth to fool her.  Now that's Entertainment!! 

Silly stuff.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Cakers3 WE were watching that show on Johnny with the hatchet throw.  I laughed SO hard and for so long.  Gee that was funny.

@qualitygalIt was my first memory of Johnny Carson as soon as I saw this thread.

LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

His shows are fun to watch.  Love his characters. esp. Art Fern, who showed the old movies and co-hosted with the Matinee Lady!

The Ed Ames incident is classic and still hilarious !!!!!

I've seen interviews where Johnny described himself as being shy.  

Honored Contributor

Johnny was the best....I enjoy watching the shows on Antenna TV....

I loved how he interacted with the animals Joan Embery from the San Diego Zoo and Jim Fowler of Wild Kingdom brought in....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”