Honored Contributor

John Paul Getty III Family Suing Over FX Series

[ Edited ]

Interesting that Ariadne Getty, John Paul III's sister, is threatening legal action over the new series based on the infamous 1973 kidnapping of her brother in which his ear was mutilated.

Her legal team has said that the series implies or suggests that the family colluded in the kidnapping in a squeeze to get money!  What a bombshell!

I am so out of the loop I never had an inkling that the family itself was ever suspected in any way in the kidnapping.  Hoping that is not true, as the story is sad and tragic enough without that hideous betrayal.

Donald Sutherland playing patriarch J. Paul Getty himself is interesting casting.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/getty-family-member-says-fx-series-trust-is-defamatory-thr...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: John Paul Getty III Family Suing Over FX Series

@OznellSeriously doubt they did have anything to do with it. However, one would expect them to remain silent.  Lawsuits are usually ugly and seldom worth the money. Best to MYOB and go about one's life. The Getty's don't have to prove their name to anyone, do they? Not in historical records that I'm aware. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Agreed, @BirkiLady.  In this case, definitely, discretion would be the better part of valor...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I keep seeing commercials about this upcoming series. It looks pretty wild. Olivia de Havilland sued FX over the Feud series about Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, which I thought was great tv. I think most of these shows are pretty well done, though they aren't for everyone.

Trusted Contributor

I'm watching this new series about the Gettys, it's called Trust and wow is it disgusting. FX has said that the show was inspired by real life and also that some of it was made up. I think though that it gives a pretty factual account of their sordid life.  Since all the children seem to be on a money grab due to not being able to live within their means and being addicted to either drugs or alcohol, it is no surprise to me that the lawsuit exists.  I hope they lose. 

Honored Contributor

Last night I read that Olivia de Havilland's lawsuit against FX has been thrown out of court.

I'm watching the show about Getty. It just started Sunday night. The family definitely had a lot of problems.

Esteemed Contributor

@colliemom4wrote:

I keep seeing commercials about this upcoming series. It looks pretty wild. Olivia de Havilland sued FX over the Feud series about Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, which I thought was great tv. I think most of these shows are pretty well done, though they aren't for everyone.

Right that, @colliemom4: "they aren't for everyone." However, they shouldn't be a "surprise" for anyone who knows anything about the Getty family. 

Respected Contributor

I tried to watch the first show and I usually give a show a chance but this show was just too dark and depressing.

Honored Contributor

Of course they are upset.  It shows how awful JPG was and how messed up that family was.

Money certainly does not make one void of problems.  

I'm liking the series after the first episode!

The movie was really good too.  I saw that a few months ago.  I didn't know much about this family until I saw the movie. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

@winamac1wrote:

Of course they are upset.  It shows how awful JPG was and how messed up that family was.

Money certainly does not make one void of problems.  

I'm liking the series after the first episode!

The movie was really good too.  I saw that a few months ago.  I didn't know much about this family until I saw the movie. 

The movie is on demand now, @winamac1, but I think I'll watch all of this series before I go for the movie. Although I'm tempted and want to see it right away. That's quite a different sort of cast in the movie, and I like it.