Honored Contributor

John Gavin of "Psycho" and "Imitation of Life", Dead at 86

Darkly handsome John Gavin led a varied and interesting life, before succumbing to leukemia. Long married to lovely blonde actress Constance Towers, he supported another famous blonde, Doris Day, in one of our TCM'ers' favorites, the deliciously soapy and suspenseful "Midnight Lace".  He also played Julius Caesar to Kirk Douglas' Spartacus, in the eponymous film.

In a total change of pace, he served as Ambassador to Mexico under President Reagan, no doubt helped in this assignment by the fact that his mother was Mexican, and he was fluent in Spanish and Portuguese as well.

William Friedkin, director and astute TCM film commentator, has paid tribute to him as one of the "finest men" he had known, and a friend.  RIP.

Respected Contributor

Re: John Gavin of "Psycho" and "Imitation of Life", Dead at 86

OMG.  I loved him.  He played in a movie "Back Street" with Vera Miles which I saw when I was a teen.  It was so sad.  I own the DVD.  He was so very handsome. 

Honored Contributor

Nice little tribute tape, sung poignantly to "I'll Be Seeing You" by Jo Stafford.  John Gavin's trademark intensity and good humor on display throughout.  Nice picture of him with his wife, Constance Towers, near the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w72hqKvPR0E

Honored Contributor

Sad to hear the news about the very handsome actor, John Gavin.  He was a stand out on screen with his looks and the roles he played.  I remember him being low key but when he was on screen, you noticed!  

Thank you for the information you provided about him, interesting and fitting.  I also like the touching tribute with Jo Stafford seeing the great song, I'll be seeing you.  May he rest in peace and I salute him as an actor who impressed me in every movie he made.  

Esteemed Contributor

Juan Vincent Apablasa was his real name.  His father was Chilean.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Oznell - He was so good in Imitation of Life, Back Street (another tearjerker). and Midnight Lace.  I think I saw him recently on a rerun of Love Boat.   Very handsome.  Thanks for posting the  link with the Jo Stafford song - nice tribute and a beautiful song.  May he rest in peace.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell - Thank you for posting this and the musical tribute to him. I remember watching Back Street with my mom when I was young. Susan Hayward was one of her favorite actresses, and became one of mine too. It is still one of my favorite old movies, as is Imitation of Life, as other posters have mentioned. 

Now I want to see some of his other movies - and Back Street again. 

Respected Contributor

I remember him in that old western series Destry back in the early 60s.  He was great in that.  I’m another who loved him in the movie Imitation of Life ( with another favorite actor, Dan O’Herlihy).  

Honored Contributor

OZ! Thank you! You dear sweet soul. 💞

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

Darkly handsome John Gavin led a varied and interesting life, before succumbing to leukemia. Long married to lovely blonde actress Constance Towers, he supported another famous blonde, Doris Day, in one of our TCM'ers' favorites, the deliciously soapy and suspenseful "Midnight Lace".  He also played Julius Caesar to Kirk Douglas' Spartacus, in the eponymous film.

In a total change of pace, he served as Ambassador to Mexico under President Reagan, no doubt helped in this assignment by the fact that his mother was Mexican, and he was fluent in Spanish and Portuguese as well.

William Friedkin, director and astute TCM film commentator, has paid tribute to him as one of the "finest men" he had known, and a friend.  RIP.

@Oznell,   

'hello dear friend',

I have to tell you this: My best buddy girlfriend, across the street from our home, had seen Back Street...and I believe she was smitten over the moon for over a year talking about that movie.

!!Hope you see this note, Beverly!!

I DO remember the tall dark headed man in Psycho, but ( truthfully ), never ONCE did I know that was he. I remembered his face, and to the best of my remembering back, never knew that. 

DO NOT think I ever saw him in any one movie. I am going to call, Beverly who still leaves in my- (our home town) and tell her this.

I'm sure she'll know (death) by the time I call, ...but she'll remember with another... and I mean "~SWOON~" when I ask her.. "Bev, tell me again, all about John Gavin and your fast stuttering to fill me in".

After that, I don't believe there was ever a heart throb as he was to her-

``'Gonna do that as soon as I call her at work, there, later.

She has a long lived Pizza Restaurant, there. If she reads this, then she'll know -WOW! Its 'ME'... +What a memory...... !!

Of course he much  older than either one of us; everyone looked older to me at that young age. I do not remember who Constance Towers was, though. I have to ask her if that was a 1st showing at the movie theater, or did she see it later. Hopefully back with some fun conversations.