Honored Contributor

Re: Joe Kenda: Homicide Hunter's Final Season

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

@Pearlee  when the show started airing 30 min segments I think that was an indication that things were changing. I am also thinking that his wife Cathy has had enough and it's time for him to finally retire. When he was a cop there were the long hours and now as an actor and filming there are long hours. And yes the young actor that played Kenda really did a great job!

I knew the show was not cancelled and think he just wanted his fans to know that by saying he was ending it. I really like some of the other shows and Murder Chose Me is one of them. I also like the Homicide show based out of Charlotte. Now the cop with the photographic memory is a storyline that needs some work.

@GAQShopr53   I don't know if he has had to put in long hours.  He isn't an actor, he is the show's narrator, commentator.  Really, how long is he on in an hour's show?  Also the show isn't on all year as we know by it coming back on Aug. 28th (I always miss it when it isn't on).  I'm really not sure it's been all that much of a time investment, esp. for the $$$$$$ he's gotten to do it.  But as we've said, maybe he just wants to be fully retired.  Or maybe he and/or Cathy are starting to have health issues, who knows at their age?   Or maybe he just knows he's run out of good story liens, as I mentioned before.  Whatever, it is his decision, as much as I'm disappointed in it.  But I agree that if good stories of his experiences are getting more scarce, then it's time to leave while on top rather than have the show itself go downhill (which IMO it has with the two half-hour segments).

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I wonder how many people think Colorado Springs is full of crime and criminals after watching his series? I live in CS and it's not as bad as it seems on that show. In a way I'm kind of glad the show is coming to an end, if you know what I mean.

@SilleeMee   The show hasn't made me think that at all (perhaps because I'm from a bit city with crime and now live in another big city with less crime, but still with crime).  Also, and this is important - his storylines are from the 1980s and 1990s.  Cities can change a lot in that time (NYC certainly has). So I have never held anything I've seen in the show "against'  the city of CS.   The show has instead made me think highly of its law enforcement force if they had someone like Kenda for so long, as well as the other detective commentators who are on it.

Respected Contributor

I will miss Joe Kenda.  I love true crime stories.  My favorite is Dateline with the greatest storyteller ever, IMHO, Keith Morrison!

Honored Contributor

@heyhay57 wrote:

I'll miss Detective Kenda as well.  Someone else mentioned his voice......Kenda's voice to me is similar to Keith Morrison's in that when they speak, I want to listen.  Not that they sound alike.  Just something about how they talk draws me in.  Whenever I'm reading a true crime novel, I "hear" it in one of their voices!  

@heyhay57   I totally understand what you are saying.  However, I think Keith M's voice is very unusual, whereas Kenda's is not. IMO it's Kenda's words - his wit and how wise he is about human nature, that draws me in.  

Love Keith Morrison too, but for different reasons.  He is reporting on the crimes, not solving them.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee 

My career path crossed with JK's. I got to meet him in person back in the '80s.  Super nice guy who seemed mild mannered and very professional. He was into his career whereas I was just getting started with mine. Some of the cases presented on JK's shows were ones that I had personal ties to in the workplace. Some parts were left out on many of the shows for graphic reasons but the stories held true to life for the most part...and really, nothing's changed. Just more people living here and with that more crime, too.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Pearlee 

My career path crossed with JK's. I got to meet him in person back in the '80s.  Super nice guy who seemed mild mannered and very professional. He was into his career whereas I was just getting started with mine. Some of the cases presented on JK's shows were ones that I had personal ties to in the workplace. Some parts were left out on many of the shows for graphic reasons but the stories held true to life for the most part...and really, nothing's changed. Just more people living here and with that more crime, too.

@SilleeMee   Still, no more crime, it seems, than in any big city.  Each big city where I've lived has areas that are more crime-ridden than others.  

Honored Contributor

Young Joe did all the acting. The real Joe just had to narrate from his notes. I watched the show because of young Joe!

Respected Contributor

@heyhay57 wrote:

I'll miss Detective Kenda as well.  Someone else mentioned his voice......Kenda's voice to me is similar to Keith Morrison's in that when they speak, I want to listen.  Not that they sound alike.  Just something about how they talk draws me in.  Whenever I'm reading a true crime novel, I "hear" it in one of their voices!  

@heyhay57  I think they both have distinctive voices and both have great careers as voice makeovers. I like Keith Morrison and yes he does have a voice that draws you in.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I wonder how many people think Colorado Springs is full of crime and criminals after watching his series? I live in CS and it's not as bad as it seems on that show. In a way I'm kind of glad the show is coming to an end, if you know what I mean.

@SilleeMee  I never thought that those cities were full of crime. I had family that lived in Colorado Springs for many years. I also had friends stationed at the military base and when I visited all I saw was just another city with a lot of people. With those factors, we know that there will be some degree of crime. Even in my little town there has been a spike in crime..ie car break-ins.

Trusted Contributor

I DVR'd the most recent episode and right at the end he started telling the story of how he met his wife, and my recording ended!  Darn!  Did any of you see the whole thing and could relay what he said?  TIA