Respected Contributor

Re: Joan Rivers / Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

[ Edited ]

@lovesallanimals wrote:

I love this show!  I binged watched the entire second season yesterday, I just could not stop it is so fabulous.  I also heard that this is based on Joan Rivers but I do not see many similarities.  I know they had to change it for the show, it can't mimic her life exactly but her father was a dentist (not a professor), they lived in Larchmont, NY (not the upper East Side), she had one daughter and I don't remember her having another husband besides Edgar (who committed suicide).  But the fact that she was one of a rare breed of women comedians, who also did blue humor, is Joan.  There was also a few other women who broke the mold.  I just love Tony S. in this as well as the entire cast.  Cannot wait until season 3.  The first episode in the Catskills had me in laughing so hard I was crying.

Just got Prime Video and binge watched both seasons..I love it!! Tony S. is fantastic...and even though I am not jewish, he just makes me think of my own dad...same era, similar worries and witty banter with his only daughter as my dad had with me. Everyone is fantastic, and the writing and wit terrific. I want season 3 now too! Anyone know when it comes out?

And also, the Catskills episodes were hysterical! 😂😂

Honored Contributor

I found this when I googled "is Marvelous Mrs. Maisel based on Joan Rivers".  

Here's what came up. https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a25460957/marvelous-mrs-maisel-midge-real...

Basically, it says, Mrs. Maisel is a combination of various comedians.  From Joan Rivers, to Jackie "Moms" Mabley, Phyllis Diller and some we've never heard of.

The article lists the reasons she seems to be a combination of this legendary female comedians.  I remember most of the one's mentioned in the article.  I must admit one or two I'd never heard of.

Us "old timers" know and remember Moms Mabley.  She was African American.  I remember seeing her on various variety shows.  I don't think she got the attention she should have received back then, but she was well known.

Anyway, there are various articles on this subject.  It's interesting to read them.

Thanks to the OP for mentioning Joan Rivers and Mrs. Maisel.

Respected Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

Everytime I see Midge wearing those swing coats with the matching hats, gloves and shoes I just drool.  I wish we had such gorgeous clothing now.  So elegant, feminine, just breathtaking.

Agree!! Oh, that pale yellow swing coat Season 1, drool! The cute black and white dress with red flowers, season 2, the cute short set she wears when riding home with the doc from the Catskills, I could go on and on...the clothes are beautifully done!! And her figure is perfect in them.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Do any of  you remember Totie Fields?  She could really be funny sometimes.  

My grandma loved her. Smiley Happy