Respected Contributor

Re: Joan Lunden-A Place for Mom

@LilacTreeI too detest that commercial.  Ialso hate to see the Life Alert with the elder lady at the bottom of the stairs.Ilost my mom in 2016 and she fell numerous times due to congestive heart failure and kidney disease.  This  particular commercial makes my heart race and brings back some bad mishaps from memory..  I never contemplated putting her somewhere!  She always said she would rather be dead than put in a home and God let me take care of her until he took over .

Honored Contributor

I know this is horrible but....all I see are ears whenever I watch this commercial. It looks like her ears are placed really low on her head.

Is it the way she’s holding her head, short hair or earrings

which make her ears appear larger than normal? 🧐

BAE3B191-819E-44BF-8CF2-B484C4382CD8.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

A Place For Mom is a referral service.

When you contact them, they will refer you to nursing homes where you can move Mom (or Dad) to.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CANDLEQUEEN For YEARS her ads (never could stand her) were VERY misleading. It's only in the last couple of years that now the ad says it's  REFERRAL SERVICE and not a physical place. Pretty skietchy advertising and very misleading IMO.

Valued Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I know this is horrible but....all I see are ears whenever I watch this commercial. It looks like her ears are placed really low on her head.

Is it the way she’s holding her head, short hair or earrings

which make her ears appear larger than normal? 🧐

BAE3B191-819E-44BF-8CF2-B484C4382CD8.jpeg

She does look rather elfin in this photo.

Respected Contributor

Unless you have rowed that boat maybe you shouldn’t make waves...

Valued Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

I always wonder why there is no "A Place for Dad."

Unleash the lawyers! 

Trusted Contributor

A Place for Mom was the most helpful service in finding a memory care home for my father with moderate dementia.

I liked seeing Joan as a face I knew in my younger years. I think she downplayed the dementia by saying forgetful. Her mom may need extra care, not just an extra room.

Who knows, maybe they shouldn't live together.

Different perspective for different needs.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a major distaste for "A Place For Mom" in general, although I might not be justified in feeling that way.

Once a social worker or some other individual working around a hospital latches onto the idea---however misguided-- that a patient might need assisted living or anything similar, here's what can happen.............

A Place for Mom is contacted, which  in turn contacts a bazillion other care services, senior living centers and nursing homes, after which  the  hapless relatives get bombarded with overtures from every facility for miles around.

I'm still getting emails, phone calls and mailings from the administrators of  senior living places here, but  also located in far-off counties.

I've convinced many of these folks that we don't need their services anytime soon, so the contacts have slowed a bit since earlier this year, but haven't completely stopped.

I can't tell whether these "helpful folks" are in it for the money and to fill empty beds, or to actually help people who need it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My 97-year-old mother has a 24/7 aide from the Republic of Georgia, a former Soviet satellite. They despise the Russians and are doing all they can to bring their country into the 21st century. A Place for Mom may be helpful but my mother found her aide through the senior grape vine in her neighborhood. I thank God for the presence of those women..