Honored Contributor

Joan Crawford Crime Drama; "Fred and Ginger"; Top Notch Political Thriller

Couldn't resist a movie post today-- there's such a crazy mix of fun genres for all tastes!

First, on TCM:

12:45 p.m. Eastern--  "This Woman Is Dangerous"   Joan Crawford as a mobster (?)  who is hospitalized for surgery on her eyes--  but she definitely likes what she sees of her hunky doctor....     Disclaimer, I've only seen snippets of this in the past, but any film with darling Dennis Morgan is well worth my time, ahem....

4:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Barkleys of Broadway"   Fred and Ginger's last musical.   They're ten years older than their last film together.  Fred is just all around brilliant as usual, and Ginger has a new warm womanliness, yet her exuberant, sparky personality is all there in the dances-- she and Fred are better than ever.  Don't believe me-- watch this informal "rehearsal scene" of "Bouncin' the Blues" -- do yourself a favor and go "full screen" for this to get all their cute interplay while they dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62iT_Lu30f0

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Manchurian Candidate"--  I wonder if this was the beginning of the famous "paranoid thrillers"   which I love from the Sixties and Seventies, like "The Parallax View",  "Three Days of the Condor" etc.?   Riveting suspense film about unsuspecting brainwashed Americans returning from Korea.  The performances are spot-on, beginning with Frank Sinatra's.  Also love Angela Lansbury, Laurence Harvey and Janet Leigh in this.

And on Fox Movie Channel:

11:35 a.m.--  "Night and the City"--  Acclaimed noir set in London underworld, with fabulous Richard Widmark, in over his head.  A very dark world indeed.

1:15 p.m.--  "House of Bamboo"--   Set in Tokyo after the war, the army goes undercover to penetrate an American-involved criminal gang.  Two terrific film noir great 'Roberts' are in this--  Ryan and Stack!

Nice to have choices.

Respected Contributor

Re: Joan Crawford Crime Drama; "Fred and Ginger"; Top Notch Political Thriller

Dear Oznell .. I thought the same thing .. quite the variety !!!

Last night I watched Apollo 13 on TCM ....That's one of my

modern favorites ...

And .. we have 31 Days of Oscar coming up in Feb.

Have a great day ....

Honored Contributor

Oznell - I just finished watching The Window. I had seen bits and pieces through the years. Bobby Driscoll was so good. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla, I've always missed that one.  Will have to watch for it, thanks for the rec.

Honored Contributor

I'm watching 'This Woman Is Dangerous' right now.  It's pretty good.  Fast moving.  One day the doctor operates, the next, he's taking her to dinner and they are in love, lol.  I'm always happy to catch an old movie I like and haven't seen before.  It was made in 1952, near the end of the good movie era for me.  By 1960, the good ones were dwindling except for a musicals.  

Dennis Morgan made some great movies, some were musicals.  Does anybody remember the one with him and Ginger Rodgers where he was married and was stringing aginger along?  She became an unwed mother.  I might be confusing two different movies, though.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

I'm watching 'This Woman Is Dangerous' right now.  It's pretty good.  Fast moving.  One day the doctor operates, the next, he's taking her to dinner and they are in love, lol.  I'm always happy to catch an old movie I like and haven't seen before.  It was made in 1952, near the end of the good movie era for me.  By 1960, the good ones were dwindling except for a musicals.  

Dennis Morgan made some great movies, some were musicals.  Does anybody remember the one with him and Ginger Rodgers where he was married and was stringing aginger along?  She became an unwed mother.  I might be confusing two different movies, though.

Kitty Foyle was the movie. Ginger Rogers won an Academy Award. 

Honored Contributor

Kitty Foyle!  Thanks @Oznell.  One of Ginger's best.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Yes, @Mmsfoxxie, I find I avoid watching "Kitty Foyle" because I hate to see adorable Dennis Morgan as a weak and faithless cad (even though he has some sympathetic traits in the film)   To me he just embodies a certain kind of decent, sweet, Midwestern boyishness or something, that I hate to see sullied, ha.  He must remind me of my hubby, maybe...

Honored Contributor

I know exactly what you mean @Oznell, lol.

Honored Contributor

Oh, @Mmsfoxxie, that was @drizzellla who came up with the title.  I couldn't think of it either at first. Have probably blocked it subconsciously due to usympathetic role for Dennis.  But, yeah, Ginger was terrific as she is in so many films...