Respected Contributor

Re: Jimmy Kimmel's Tacky Joke About Robert Blake At The Oscars

I think the biggest problem with the joke was that it wasn't even funny. 

I watched basically zero of this show. But I did switch over one time to see what was going on...oddly enough it was exactly when Kimmel was doing this Blake thing. IMHO, it fell pretty flat. Woman Frustrated

Then I was back to watching reruns of 20/20. HA!

Honored Contributor

Everyone knows why some people don't like Jimmy Kimmel, no matter what he says or does
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

I didn’t watch last night. I did see some clips.  Nothing is off limits for a comedian. I think we all know that by now.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Commoner Exec Mr Wilkes   absolutely right!  TCM is the Gold Standard in the annual In Memoriam tributes.  They include the big stars, the character actors, the bit players, the directors, composers, technical folks and all who play their part in bringing us the movies.

As to another point, I am generally torn on the subject of Jimmy Kimmell.  He is quick witted, and very often funny.  His tendency to aim his comedic laser in only one direction is what (for me)  keeps him from being completely appreciated.

I do support his pushing the envelope----and maybe the boundaries of taste and sensibility---because I  believe he was being  courageous in striking a blow for comedians who today must try and ply their trade under the fear of cancellation by the easily offended and perpetually outraged .   

Good comics not only make us laugh, but they challenge us to think as well.  The best ones do it through a lens that focuses on issues and individuals of every  stripe---left, right and center.  When we have lost the ability to laugh at ourselves  we are in a sad place indeed.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like Jimmy Kimmel, at all. To me, he's not funny. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:
Everyone knows why some people don't like Jimmy Kimmel, no matter what he says or does

Enlighten me, please.  I have no real opinion about him one way or the other, but am fascinated by your statement.  

Respected Contributor

Despite what some people think about Robert Blake he still has children.  It was insensitive for Jimmy Kimmel to make that joke.

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

I agree that the comment was in bad taste.  I wasn't even sure what the punch line was?  Was it supposed to be funny because of his acquittal?  There was no purpose.  I disagree about the audience reaction - it was tepid.

In general, I usually hate the In Memorium section.  Per usual, they pulled away from the screen and, sure enough, the at home audience missed some names.  This year, I didn't like how they blurred out some names/photos; would have preferred they just keps both photos up at the same time.

@Alter Ego I didn't watch, but from the description it was just a play on words.  Give me a break is a common phrase, so it's just a play on that, Give me a Blake, or at least that's how I see it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Citrine1 👏👍

Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Enlighten me, please.  I have no real opinion about him one way or the other, but am fascinated by your statement.  

Well I guess you don't remember " The Man Show "   or when he put something

on his face to appear he is another shade of color ....( I didn't dare use the real

term ....