Respected Contributor

Jimmy Kimmel's Tacky Joke About Robert Blake At The Oscars

[ Edited ]

Look it up if you missed it; it's all over the internet. He teased about an interactive Oscars segment, then asked viewers to text "GimmeaBLAKE" if they wanted Robert Blake included (he wasn't) in the upcoming In Memoriam segment. The trained seals in the audience thought it was a real knee-slapper.

Forget Blake--Kimmel managed to disrespect and dismiss The Academy's annual tradition, itself, and everyone else's inclusion in it.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jimmy Kimmel's Tacky Joke About Robert Blake At The Oscars

It was a nothing burger statement. No big deal....at all.

Trusted Contributor

I saw it in real time,and sure enough,Robert Blake wasn't included in the memoriam. 

Since they already knew he wasn't included, the "joke"wasn't necessary.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

the words I would use to describe Kimmel I can't use here .. can't stand him ....

Respected Contributor

I can understand Blake's omission because he just died a few days ago. I guess there's a cutoff date, after which they appear on next year's segment.

As usual though, they did forget others. I didn't see Anne Heche, Cindy Williams, Henry Silva (Seriously lol? You might not know his name, but it seems like this guy's been in almost every old movie), Robert Morse, Andrew Prine...It seems like someone should be in charge of keeping up with these deaths, notwithstanding cutoff dates.

As for Kimmel, that joke about someone who died three days ago was pathetic. Substitute anyone else's name and it would've been just as bad. We all have our standards.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

It seems some claiming to hate Jimmy Kimmel and Hollywood were glued to their TV for the event.

They seem to know everything that went on.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Love Jimmy!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that the comment was in bad taste.  I wasn't even sure what the punch line was?  Was it supposed to be funny because of his acquittal?  There was no purpose.  I disagree about the audience reaction - it was tepid.

In general, I usually hate the In Memorium section.  Per usual, they pulled away from the screen and, sure enough, the at home audience missed some names.  This year, I didn't like how they blurred out some names/photos; would have preferred they just keps both photos up at the same time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

They also didn't include Stella Steven's in the memoriam. I also thought the joke about Robert Blake was in poor taste. They give an award to a rapist for best director but cannot include an acquitted actor in the memoriam segment.

Honored Contributor

I thought it was in very poor taste, but I'm not surprised.