Trusted Contributor

Jimmy Fallon's Interview with Barbra Streisand on the Tonight Show

This was a real "get" for Jimmy Fallon. Barbra S. doesn't do many talk shows. She hasn't been on late night for 50 some years.

I have a real hard time with the way Fallon conducts interviews. I like Jimmy. I think he's a sweet and nice guy. I think he is a kind-hearted individual. But, last night, he spent so much time talking himself and being goofy and not letting Barbra talk. He really doesn't have the whole interviewer thing honed yet. He acts more like an excited fan. I love his enthusiasm, but he had a real legend there last night, and instead of of asking thought provoking questions and learning more about Barbra, it was just gushing Jimmy all night not letting her get a word in edgewise.

Barbra was a sport at the beginning to do the parody of her songs with Jimmy. But, the fun and games gets old after awhile. I like Letterman because he asks such good questions and probes his guests to give us more than just the normal answers. Jimmy isn't new to this talk show gig anymore. I just think he needs to let the guest be the entertainment once in awhile.

Thank goodness he didn't make her play some stupid game or roll around on the floor with him.

That's just my take.

Honored Contributor

Re: Jimmy Fallon's Interview with Barbra Streisand on the Tonight Show

I don't think Jimmy Fallon will ever be a good interviewer (that's not the way he wants to be perceived, perhaps he's not capable).

He always has to interject himself into every person who comes on the show. It works, most of the audience loves it. I have to admit it makes what is usually a case of the person visiting comes on and bla blas about their latest thing that want heard or seen (i.e. movie, TV show, record, etc). He makes their visit at least entertaining at least for us (the viewers of his show). Also, we're more likely to want to see whatever it is the person is hawking (especially if we feel like they're more "like us"). In reality, of course, most of us know they aren't close to the same lifestyle!

Anyway, she's making the rounds because she has something coming out on XM radio (they've been advertising it to death).

I like her music, don't care for her. I own some of her CD's. Hours and hours of her hummm not so much.

Honored Contributor

She has a new CD coming out today called Partners, all duets with other famous singers. Many of the selections are her old standards such as People, Way We Were.

Honored Contributor

I am going to miss Letterman when he is gone.....

Honored Contributor

Mostly, I can't stand the guy who's replacing him. Why in the world didn't they put someone in there like Chris Rock? At least he's funny, not mean and sarcastic.

Esteemed Contributor

I miss Jay Leno. Jimmy Fallon is too juvenile for my taste. I think they have ruined late night. Jay was good with the guests and he was entertaining. I am sorry the show has changed so much. This is not the show that Johnny Carson would have liked. I have stopped watching the late night talk shows. When Dave Letterman leaves and Stephen Colbert takes his place that is going to ruin that show. Why can't they find people who are talented enough to do these late night talk shows?

Honored Contributor

elated, I agree with you, I miss Jan Leno too. The thing about Jimmy Fallon (as I say earlier) I think what I don't like about him is that he has to be a part of every star that comes on. He's always doing 'skits' with them. It's as if he thinks he's on Saturday Night Live.

Honored Contributor

I really don't know what Stephen Colbert is like because I have only seen him playing a character so I am trying to have an open mind. I actually like Seth Meyer's show better than Jimmy Fallon's show.

Honored Contributor

Everyone keeps saying the same thing DiAnne. I haven't watched his show for very long because I couldn't stand it.

I wish they'd put someone else there. If he bombs maybe they will.

Valued Contributor

Last night was just awful - he was gushing and rambling and so unprofessional that I had to turn the channel. I was embarrassed for him and for Barbra Streisand. I don't watch him a lot, but when I have he was fun. Don't know why he lost it last night. Maybe it got better after the first 20 minutes of the interview? I hope so.Smile