Super Contributor

Re: Jimmy Fallon's Interview with Barbra Streisand on the Tonight Show

I haven't watched The Tonight Show since NBC unceremoniously kicked the genuinely talented, veteran host Jay Leno to the curb in favor of the younger, hipper, hyper, frenetic flavor-of-the-moment, Jimmy Fallon.

Leno, like his predecessor Johnny Carson, was equally adept at interviewing everyone from actors to authors to artists to athletes to politicians. That's because they prepared by reading the background research, then they generously showcased the guest by asking intelligent, provocative questions and actively listened rather than relentlessly mugging and grabbing the spotlight for themselves.

As much as I wanted to see Barbra Streisand, I knew beforehand that I couldn't tolerate Fallon's immature antics, so I opted not to watch. As Shelbelle pointed out, Streisand is making the promotional rounds for her new CD that dropped yesterday, therefore there'll be plenty of other opportunities to see and hear her on other shows - unobstructed, unencumbered and uninterrupted.

Coincidentally, Entertainment Tonight co-host Nancy O'Dell did a wonderful interview with Streisand on Tuesday's (09/16/2014) show, where Streisand hinted about a possible Gypsy remake. If you're interested in seeing it, ET posted it:

Valued Contributor

Oh, now that would be exciting! Clearly, Streisand would play Mama - can't you just see her belting out "Everything's Coming Up Roses"!! I hope they (whoever "they" might be) find a way to do it.

Super Contributor

This video might change your mind a little at least.

Stephen Colbert’s Tearful Eulogy To His Mother Will Make You Want To Hug Someone, Namely Your Own Mother

VIDEO:

http://uproxx.com/tv/2013/06/stephen-colbert-delivers-tribute-to-his-mother/

"Oh buddy. Someone is going to need to make a Kleenex run because there’s a shortage in my household right now. In case you didn’t know, Stephen Colbert’s mother, Lorna, passed away last week at the age of 92. This caused Stephen to miss a full week of his show. Well, now he’s back but not before giving his mother one of the most touching tributes you’ll ever see.

Colbert takes us on a journey through his mother’s life, her marriage, kids and her dedication to scripture. I can’t even imagine how difficult that segment must have been for him, so kudos for even going through with it.

Now excuse me while I go call mom."

Honored Contributor

Streisand will be fab Rose, although she is already a bit older than most of the Rose's have been. She was really too young to be Dolly, so why not too old to be Rose??? Bette Midler and Tyne Daly were the last ones to tackle the challenging tour de force role. Now who can we suggest for Gypsy and Herbie??

Honored Contributor

I think Jimmy was just intimidated by her, and much too much of a novice interviewer to have her as a guest. guess it made him more relaxed to put her in his usual chair behind the desk.

Honored Contributor

Jimmy has a junior high school mentality. Hence the fitting name: JIMMY. Grow up!

Super Contributor

There's a digitally mixed duet on "Partners" of Barbra and Elvis singing "Love Me Tender" (similar to the way Natalie Cole was able to sing "Unforgettable" with her late father, Nat King Cole).

Here's something that I'd totally forgotten: Streisand and Elvis were in preliminary discussions to do the 1976 remake of A Star Is Born. She told Access Hollywood yesterday that in many ways, the story paralleled their own lives: her career was on the rise while Elvis' was fading. Despite that, Elvis was interested and enthusiastic about the project. The on-screen pairing never happened because Elvis' manager wouldn't allow it, perhaps thinking that it was too much a case of art reflecting reality. As you know, the film was made with Kris Kristofferson.

A Star Is Born has been made and remade several times since the 1932 original source material, What Price Hollywood? The 1937 original A Star Is Born starred Janet Gaynor and Fredric March. The 1954 version of A Star Is Born with Judy Garland and James Mason is perhaps the best and most popular. In 1993, there were rumours of yet another new version: Whitney Houston: 'A Star is Born' again?

Undoubtedly there will be chatter again of another remake with a pair of today's hot commodities headlining. It's interesting to speculate what names would be floated. Probably today's version would take on a hip-hop or rap vibe.

Respected Contributor

On 9/16/2014 DiAnne said:

I am going to miss Letterman when he is gone.....

Me too. Love Dave! He does the most intelligent interviews of anyone on late night, except Stephen Colbert. Glad he'll be taking over for Dave, but then I will miss Stephen in his current show. And so it goes...

Jimmy Fallon is not that good at interviews but I like him as an entertainer and I like his singing. I thought he was really good on the duets with Barbra.

Trusted Contributor

I don't watch the late shows, but I do think Jimmy is a very generous man.

I am wondering how Colbert will do in another role.... when someone plays on one set and as one person for so long, I wonder if s/he can switch to another role.... only time will tell.

Super Contributor

On 9/17/2014 Shelbelle said:

I think Jimmy was just intimidated by her, and much too much of a novice interviewer to have her as a guest. guess it made him more relaxed to put her in his usual chair behind the desk.

I'm so glad you posted this, Shelbelle. I wondered how the interview would be conducted with regard to the physical positioning of the participants. It's a well-known fact that Barbra Streisand never allows herself to be photographed, filmed or recorded except from her left side. I was curious how that would be achieved if the Tonight Show set remained the same as it was when Leno, Carson, Jack Parr and Steve Allen hosted: the guest sitting to the host's right.

There was a famous feud Streisand had with Mike Wallace of CBS stemming from a 1991 60 Minutes interview. She delayed the sit-down because the lighting was flat and made the crew re-light. Wallace accused her of being a demanding control freak. Years later, when she sang on a talk show (Oprah?), she brought her own blinged-out microphone because it matched her outfit and because she was assured of the audio quality of her own equipment.

While some may use disparaging terms to describe such behavior, it's simply because Barbra Streisand was, is and likely always will be a perfectionist. She sets high standards for everyone, but none so high as those that she sets for herself.