Honored Contributor

Jimmy Cagney, "13 Rue Madeleine" Fox Movie Channel Friday 6:00 a.m. Eastern

6:00 a.m. Eastern, Fox Movie Channel--  "13 Rue Madeleine"--   Very exciting 1947 spy movie with Jimmy Cagney, Richard Conte, Annabella, and Karl Malden.

Cagney is a very smart intelligence officer in charge of training young American spies who are to inflitrate Nazi Europe during World War II.   He has been informed that a Nazi double agent has been planted in the group, very polished, speaks perfect idiomatic American English, etc.

Plans for infiltration continue, even with the German agent in their midst, and he (the always fiendishly attractive Richard Conte) forms an alliance with two innocent Allied spies as they plot their strategies for Europe....

Cagney is just perfect in this, as the canny, very tough and brave American spy chief.  His role was said to be initially based on the legendary "Wild Bill" Donovan, the father of the American intelligence service.

Valued Contributor

Re: Jimmy Cagney, "13 Rue Madeleine" Fox Movie Channel Friday 6:00 a.m. Eastern

Unfortunately, we don't get Fox Movie Channel. This is a Cagney movie I haven't seen but it sounds like one I'd like. Oh well, maybe it'll show up on TCM sometime - thanks for the good movie review @Oznell

Honored Contributor

Not a Cagney fan here, but loved him in this. I always thought this was a great movie, but never heard much praise for it. Didn't know it won an Oscar or am I wrong?

Honored Contributor

I think you would like it, (having at least an inkling of your wonderful taste in films!), @cimeranrose.  If I'm not mistaken, it has shown on TCM, so will probably roll around at some point....

Honored Contributor

Don't know either, but I think it must have, @Judaline, or it wouldn't be shown this month probably.  It's such a good example of the World War II espionage genre, with very interesting performances...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I didn't watch it this time, but I remember thinking, 'if looks could kill!' I think it was on the plane.