Respected Contributor

Jim Leher dead at the age of 85

America has lost another great newscaster.  Many of us remember watching the MacNeil/Leher newsreport. Sadly I learned he has passed on. Jim Leher always had a low key easy going nature to him, an understated anchor.  Many of todays anchors should be schooled by watching his videotapes.  Sadly what passes for news today is embarrasing. I often find myself switching to the BBC news to get away from all the talking heads.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Jim Leher dead at the age of 85

Mr Lehrer - a man with a great deal of integrity.  

He leaves a good mark. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

I totally agree. BBC is an option in our home too.

Respected Contributor

fair - decent - and a true journalist, a dying breed. with that great half smile - and twinkly eyes.                                              Godspeed.

Honored Contributor

Oh wow, that's sad. I know people have to die but that is sad.

He was a comfortable, reliable newscaster, along the lines of Walter Cronkite, I think.

I read he died peacefully in his sleep. That is how my sweet grandmother died. I guess that is a good way to go onto the nextSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

ITA with all the above.  Can't believe he was 85, almost seems like yesterday.

Trusted Contributor

Definitely a man of integrity and a true journalist. He will be missed. Not many like him now. He left big shoes to fill. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I don't have the BBC option, so more often than not I just don't watch. 

Keepin' it real.