Honored Contributor

Re: Jesus: His Life, 4 Week Event Begins March 25th

Joel Osteen is Executive Producer.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I'm wondering if anyone who intended to watch had any reactions to the first installment?

Going into these things, you always have hopes they won't distort things too much.  Hubby and I did have some quibbles-- mainly about the sort of "over-dramatization" they tend to indulge in.

For example, having Joseph break up furniture at finding out Mary was pregnant!  And some of the things they had one character saying or doing, was in reality, said or done by another.

But, overlooking that stuff, it was nicely and generally respectfully done, and gave a real feel for the time and place.  There's so much on TV that's just garbage-ey, corrupting, lowest-common-denominator, that it's nice to have something both historical and uplifting.

Looking forward in the coming weeks to Peter's story, especially.

Honored Contributor

Missed the first episode. Hope I can pull it up On Demand when I have some free time.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Missed the first episode. Hope I can pull it up On Demand when I have some free time.

@AuntG   you can stream off of History Channel web site at the present time.

i enjoyed the various voices of commentary from ministers and scholars,  and didn't mind the dramatizations which helped make the presentation a little livelier.

i will keep watching.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone who intended to watch had any reactions to the first installment?

Going into these things, you always have hopes they won't distort things too much.  Hubby and I did have some quibbles-- mainly about the sort of "over-dramatization" they tend to indulge in.

For example, having Joseph break up furniture at finding out Mary was pregnant! 

@Oznell 

Now oznell, what would your man do if he found out you were having a baby & he was NOT the daddy?  And let's not forget you also told him it was an immaculate conception told to you by an "angel."  Kill you, put you in the crazy house (for the latter) or break furniture????? (Mine would have done all 3) Smiley LOL

The commentators put the spin out that Joseph was no fool.  He was not a believer until an angel in a dream confirmed what Mary had told him.

I thought it was rather interesting that Joseph WAS NOT a carpenter but a construction worker. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, I guess you are right, @Mz iMac.  I should just be relieved that it seems to be a fairly respectful treatment of the principals, (whatever they imagine they thought or did), with plenty of interesting, thoughtful commentary in between...

Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

There is very little historical information about Jesus aside from the Bible. He could have been considered a political figure because he was attracting large groups of people, preaching a message that would not sit well with the rulers. According to the Bible, he was crucified because he called himself the son of God and would not take it back. Pilate had to put him to death to gain control of the masses. Of course, there are about four versions in the Bible of Jesus' life and death. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John all saw it from their viewpoint. They were writing many years after the events took place. So we do not have the"real" story. People of faith believe the Bible, some do not.

I often wonder what if anything has been misinterpreted in the translations.

I'd say not much if you believe it is divinely inspired. 

Honored Contributor

I have a Key Word Study Bible that goes into the words and their translations and meanings and context and it is fascinating reading!

Respected Contributor

DH and I are DVRing the series and watching.  I like they way they are splitting up doing the stories by the half hour.

Looking forward to the next one.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

Cool!  I'd be interested in all their points of view, but most especially in John the Baptist's (a personal favorite of mine) and in Peter's.

Thanks, @butterfly123

Joseph is my favorite. There isn't much about him in the bible so I'd be interested in what he has to say, lol. I take it this is fiction as none of us know what they actually said-probably based on the bible, don't you think? If they say something I know to be wrong it really gets me so I hope they have their facts straight. I loved Jim Caviezel as Jesus. So perfect. So thanks for this @butterfly123 .

Ita...James Caviezel will always be Jesus for me...!!!! 

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West