Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jesus: His Life, 4 Week Event Begins March 25th

I'm recording it. I haven't watched any yet. This time of the year I'm very spiritual, even though I'm non-practicing.
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone who intended to watch had any reactions to the first installment?

Going into these things, you always have hopes they won't distort things too much.  Hubby and I did have some quibbles-- mainly about the sort of "over-dramatization" they tend to indulge in.

For example, having Joseph break up furniture at finding out Mary was pregnant!  And some of the things they had one character saying or doing, was in reality, said or done by another.

But, overlooking that stuff, it was nicely and generally respectfully done, and gave a real feel for the time and place.  There's so much on TV that's just garbage-ey, corrupting, lowest-common-denominator, that it's nice to have something both historical and uplifting.

Looking forward in the coming weeks to Peter's story, especially.

I doubt that happened...An angel appreared to Joseph and told him that Mary would have a baby...He knew it was God's will...I won't be watching..not a JO fan anymore~

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

I don't believe Joseph would ever lose his temper and break up furniture. That was totally made up. He was a gentle man and would have suffered inwardly when told of the 'Immaculate Conception.' And he was a carpenter and so was Jesus, working by his side and learning all the skills of a carpenter. This of course was before he went out on his own to preach.

I dislike the scene they show every time of Jesus being scourged and screaming in agony. He uttered not a word. 

Honored Contributor

I almost never watch things like this, and did not watch this one, because it is someone's dramatized conception of events.   It isn't the events that I want to imagine, it is the actions and the inspiration of the events, and that is all in my mind.  

It's the effect of these events have that I try to focus on.  Maybe I have expressed this poorly, but I've never seen a dramatization I really liked. . . 

Honored Contributor

You've expressed it well, @Sooner,  I know just what you mean, and we have most often been disappointed in some aspect of these dramatizations over the years. Your focus is just what it should be.  That said, I tend to still check some "cinematic" adaptations (such as they are) out, since there is sometimes a nugget of something that is worthwhile or thought-provoking...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

You've expressed it well, @Sooner,  I know just what you mean, and we have most often been disappointed in some aspect of these dramatizations over the years. Your focus is just what it should be.  That said, I tend to still check some "cinematic" adaptations (such as they are) out, since there is sometimes a nugget of something that is worthwhile or thought-provoking...

@Oznell   On the other hand, my husband LOVES them!  So yes, it's differences in people!  LOL!!