Respected Contributor

Re: Jeopardy with Mayim Bialik

@occasionalrain   I don't see what risk or unfairness there would be, they'd already have the job nailed down.  I don't think there will be any sort of vote by viewers, and viewership numbers can be influenced by so many factors totally outside of how popular any interim host is that I doubt it would be more than one of several factors influencing the choice, if it has not already been made.  For instance, what if Host X's two weeks included a major holiday where people were/will be travelling?  That would lower viewership, even if that person happened to otherwise be very popular.  I seriously doubt if there will be one particular "overwhelmingly" popular host, the audience is too diverse.  There might be some of the interim hosts who are overwhelmingly UN-popular, from the resonses on this now quite long thread, but  I think any one particular host is less likely to be the overwhelming favorite.  We'll find out eventually.  Who knows, maybe there will be Facebook polls, or some combination of online sites that will be used for viewer voting, and the producers will abide by the will of the voters?  I just, personally, don't think such a decision will be left to such a level of chance.

Honored Contributor

@birdQ13 wrote:
Big shoes to fill. Even Alex could sometimes sound cold on a contestant miss. I thought she was pretty good but I am ready to see what's next. Maybe my lower attention span will be explored in their Focus Groups.

@birdQ13  Perhaps cold but Mayim actually made them feel dumb for not knowing one of the answers tonight.  She said "Come on guys, it's ------."  She said it like "how could you not know this?"  I thought that was bad.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Mayim did a very good job!  I think she's gained the inside track.

Next up:  Savannah Guthrie, who said she has no interest in becoming permanent host, that she has a full-time job already. Okay.

@ValuSkr 

Well, of course not every guest host actually wants the gig full time.  Some are doing it because they love the show ... and were asked to guest host. 

While Mayim did an okay job IMO, she wouldn't be a good fit as a full time, long term host.   

Honored Contributor

I don't understand why they are wasting time with stints from people who don't want the job.  I wish they would just get on with hiring the new permanent host.  I think that's what the audience really wants; a decision.  If that decision is already made, then announce it!

This practice of guest hosting in general gets on my nerves.  The whole Regis departure comes to mind.  Just get on with it.

Respected Contributor

I remember back to the days of Art Fleming as host.  The show was on at Noon and if I was home from school for whatever reason, I'd watch.  I don't know what became of the show when Art Fleming left.  Did it remain off the air for a number of years before AT signed on as host?  I don't recall.  But I do recall not liking AT - not at all.  He had a curly haired perm and sleazy looking 'stache and seemed to me to have an uppity kind of 'tude with the contestants, so I quit watching.  It was no big deal to me then.

Now we have to go thru all this for 6+ months for the program to find a suitable host.  I do think it should be more about the show than the host.  As another poster mentioned, it is like the who do we get to replace Regis debacle.  I still can't believe Kelly Ripa even lasted without him that long, do people love her so much?  But anyway, perhaps another few months of this.  I guess they figure viewership goes down during the summer anyway.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

I've watched since the beginning. And yes, the show took a break when it left New York and transferred to the west coast. 

Back in those days you didn't have the fluff categories you have now. Who would have ever imagined a question would be, "Who are Jack & Jill"?

To me, it's the game that's enjoyable. I found Alex to be very condescending at times. I also saw him be more welcoming to some contestants than others. I have no idea how intelligent he was. He was a TV personality playing to an audience. 

I'm enjoying the rotation of guest host, though I suspect it's been a lot of additional work for the staff and crew. I'd be happy if it continued for another year. I enjoy the different personalities and the variety of charities that are benefiting.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I don't understand why they are wasting time with stints from people who don't want the job.  I wish they would just get on with hiring the new permanent host.  I think that's what the audience really wants; a decision.  If that decision is already made, then announce it!

This practice of guest hosting in general gets on my nerves.  The whole Regis departure comes to mind.  Just get on with it.

@faeriemoon 

I don't think they are wasting time by having several guest hosts. The producers are buying some time here.  If they had made an immediate replacement, I'm not sure the long timer viewers would easily accept them. 

Perhaps some of the guest hosts might be interested in the job, after they have done the show.  No idea what the starting salary would be ... but it's a huge commitment and every party needs to be sure the selection will work.

Respected Contributor

Have to disagree with you, I was yelling it's "Ferdinand the Bull" at the screen! It was a pretty easy answer and no one knew it.

Honored Contributor

@Desi wrote:

Have to disagree with you, I was yelling it's "Ferdinand the Bull" at the screen! It was a pretty easy answer and no one knew it.

@Desi  Who is "you."?

Easy for you perhaps but not easy for everyone including those 3 who couldn't answer it. Not all people know the same things.

Frequent Contributor

I never watched Blossom or Big Bang Theory, so I'm not a "fan of" the actress, but I certainly know who she is.

I thought bringing up her academic background was a bit off putting; no one else did this.

I also found her a bit condescending to the contestants and her after answer comments were annoying.

Of course, those are just my opinions.