Honored Contributor

Re: Jeopardy with David Faber - August 2-6

@Snoopp Exactly! I wouldn't mind him being the permanent host, but I don't know if he has a fan base pushing for him to be the host, or if he even wants it. Didn't know anything about him, but find him to be pleasant to listen to and watch. His interaction was just enough and not too much.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler 

Funny you should mention David's 'enunciation'.  I watched his normal show this morning to see what his cohosts' reactions would be of his first Jeopardy appearance.  Most people told him he did a great job, but he teased one that only said his enunciation was good!😆

I highly doubt David would consider becoming a permanent Jeopardy host.  He's a business journalist/author and has had a long career as a reporter and anchor on CNBC.  I've watched him for years, and he is pretty much what you saw last night.

Just a bit of behind-the-scenes from the guest host:

He did enjoy the stand-in job and mentioned that he was a bit nervous the first day.  Others wanted to know if he had "people in his ear telling him what to do", and he said no, not very often at all.  Apparently what dialogue you see on air comes mostly from whoever the host is.  He did say that when he was unsure about whether or not a contestant response was correct, he had to look to the sidelines and someone would give him a "thumbs up/down" hand signal.

He also said that the hosting job is very intense.  He had to concentrate totally on the game, unlike being able to coast or ad lib like he sometimes is able to do in his on air reporting job.  He did review the categories beforehand but preferred not having the difficult words/names spelled out phonetically for him.

Honored Contributor

Newsweek by Ryan Smith, online

Jeopardy! Clarifies Rules After Contestant's Answering Style Irks Viewers

Jeopardy! bosses have clarified the long-running show's rules, after current champ Matt Amodio irked fans with his style of answering clues.

As any dedicated fan knows, the syndicated show presents the clues which contestants are required to answer in question form.

And while Amodio hasn't broken the rules in that sense, his penchant for starting each of his questions with "what is"—even when the answer pertains to people—has sparked ire among a faction of viewers.

In response to the avalanche of disgruntled viewer comments, a statement was released on the Jeopardy! Twitter account on Monday that read: "What's up with Matt Amodio? A lot of 'what's' in his response—and that's totally acceptable!"

A link to the show's website was shared, where an explanation read: "Over the many years that Jeopardy! has been on the air, we've experienced some rare scenarios that require us to refer back to the official rules of the game.

"Streaking champ Matt Amodio has received a lot of attention lately for his unorthodox use of 'What's...?' as a template for all responses—be they animal, vegetable or mineral. Viewers and grammar police alike have a lot of questions about what's acceptable. We've got some answers."

The rules, it was explained, state that while "all contestant responses to an answer must be phrased in the form of a question," there aren't specifics about grammar.

"Jeopardy! doesn't require that the response is grammatically correct," read the statement. "Further, the three-letter name of a British Invasion rock band can be a correct response all by itself ('The Who?'), and even 'Is it...?' has been accepted. So, Matt Amodio's no-frills approach is unique but well with guidelines."

Per the rules, contestants who don't answer in question format in 'Jeopardy!' rounds receive gentle reminders from the host, though such errors forfeit points in the 'Double Jeopardy!' round.

What’s up with Matt Amodio? A lot of “what’s” in his responses — and that’s totally acceptable! Twitter post.

Read more about other Jeopardy! rules here: https://t.co/6Ld05LMRR4

— Jeopardy! (@Jeopardy) August 2, 2021

The statement continued: "At 'Final Jeopardy!' the contestant coordinators are on stage to confirm that wagers are entered properly and to brief the contestants through the final steps of the game. Part of that briefing includes giving the contestants the appropriate 'Who' or 'What' for the final clue."

Responding to the Jeopardy! tweet, Amodio wrote: "Diehard #jeopardy fans like me carry a copy of the official rules at all times, anyway."

Amodio was asked about the controversy during a recent interview with Entertainment Weekly, responding: "I don't necessarily want to say too much about that. I guess I just want to say that I hope nobody's offended by it.

"I do hear some people say that it's disrespectful to the game, and I would counter that if there was a Jeopardy! fan club ranking, I think I would have a strong case to be number one Jeopardy! fan. I live and breathe the show, I love every aspect of it, and so I'm definitely not doing it out of any disrespect or undermining of the show."

Matt Amodio’s winning streak is still going strong! He now ranks #8 for highest winnings in regular season play! Jeopardy Twitter response.

Computer science Ph.D Yale student Amodio is currently enjoying an impressive eight-game winning streak, with Jeopardy! revealing in a tweet on Monday that he now ranks eighth "for highest winnings in regular season play" after scooping $310,400.

Having won more than five games, Amodio will return to Jeopardy! next season for the Tournament of Champions, which he told Entertainment Weekly he's looking forward to "with a combination of anticipation and dread."

"Because my competitors have been extremely smart," he explained, "but on the other hand, in the Tournament of Champions, you've filtered it so that you only get people who have won at least five games of Jeopardy.

"That's going to be a more competitive stage than I'm prepared for mentally. So I'm quite worried about that. Hopefully I'll do well, but I'll be shaking in my boots a little bit."

Honored Contributor

@geezerette Oh, that's very interesting. I would be the opposite.....I would want to not only see the words beforehand to ensure I don't mess up the contestants by not pronouncing them correctly, I would want as a backup the phonetic aide too!

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@geezerette Oh, that's very interesting. I would be the opposite.....I would want to not only see the words beforehand to ensure I don't mess up the contestants by not pronouncing them correctly, I would want as a backup the phonetic aide too!

@World Traveler 

Me too!  

But David is used to dealing with international CEOs who have names that I couldn't even spell, let alone pronounce.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette Oh, yeah, of course. Didn't think of that. He is used to dealing with different languages/spellings/pronunciations.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just read an article that viewers liked David Faber as a Jeopardy host but didnt really know who he was....LOL!!!  The postive comments mentioned he was articulate, and seemed warm and personalable with the contestants.....And I agree with these assments...

BTW does anyone not care for the current Jeopardy Champion......  Its not so much the "what is" as its how he searches for the Daily Double ala the same strategy that the Champion James used during his reign, he doubles his money and gets so far ahead the other contestants dont have chance simply because of the Daily Double, what fun is that to see one contestant run the board, yes he's very knowledgeable but I enjoy a more competitive game! ........Have you noticed they have been hiding the Daily Double on lower cash amounts like under the $600 instead of the bottom higher amounts where Matt Amodio goes for right away....interesting....🤔  Most players start with the category minimum and they work up in difficulty to the harder questions and run the category...that strategy is more interesting because it reveals their area of expertise....which I thought was helpful information particularly headed into the Double Jeopardy round....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

I just read an article that viewers liked David Faber as a Jeopardy host but didnt really know who he was....LOL!!!  The postive comments mentioned he was articulate, and seemed warm and personalable with the contestants.....

BTW does anyone not care for the current Jeopardy Champion......  

@Spurt  If you read this thread, you'll know the answer to your question.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

I just read an article that viewers liked David Faber as a Jeopardy host but didnt really know who he was....LOL!!!  The postive comments mentioned he was articulate, and seemed warm and personalable with the contestants.....

BTW does anyone not care for the current Jeopardy Champion......  

@Spurt  If you read this thread, you'll know the answer to your question.

@Pearlee 

There seems to me a lot more conversation about him in social media than simply the "what is"  deal....and I want to see if others on the Forum have a different take....sorry if Im a bit curious....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I watched last night's episode a little bit ago and I found this host quite pleasant.   I think he did a really good job and he seems very personable.

I still like Matt and will continue watching him play.