Valued Contributor

Re: Jeopardy tonight (spoiler alert)

Maybe he didn't want that spotlight as the guy who beat Ken Jennings nor the celebrity. 

Honored Contributor

I don't see how anyone can think that James didn't want to win.  It makes no sense that he would rather Ken Jennings be the biggest winner.  He played the best that he could.  The woman who won got two double jeopardys to his one (on the first question).  She was also great on the buzzer.

His strategy on the final question has been explained here several times.  It's also easy to Google and read what it was.  It makes sense.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Nobody knows what was in James' mind.... I admire his game play.  I liked his high five at the end of the game.  He is a great player... I tip my hat to him!

Trusted Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

I was a little disappointed when he walked over to her and just patted her arm.  I, at least, expected a hug.

Was I expecting too much????

In any event, I'm happy that she won.

I think casual hugging is over...

Trusted Contributor

@CinNC wrote:

Maybe he didn't want that spotlight as the guy who beat Ken Jennings nor the celebrity. 

Absolutely!  He also grew up admiring Jennings as my son did-left that record alone. His self-esteem was very healthy-didn't need to do that.

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I don't see how anyone can think that James didn't want to win.  It makes no sense that he would rather Ken Jennings be the biggest winner.  He played the best that he could.  The woman who won got two double jeopardys to his one (on the first question).  She was also great on the buzzer.

His strategy on the final question has been explained here several times.  It's also easy to Google and read what it was.  It makes sense.

Given James personality, I think it makes perfect senseSmiley Happy 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

I was a little disappointed when he walked over to her and just patted her arm.  I, at least, expected a hug.

yes.  No PDAs with people i barely know either.  i think it is icky.  

Respected Contributor

I do not believe for a second that James wanted or tried to lose. 

He had to be mentally and physically exhausted from his run on the show.  I understand that they do 5 shows in 1 day, which has to be extremely difficult and take a toll.

He had an off day...he did not have a chance at daily doubles, not buzzing in quickly and Lady Luck was just not with him.

He was so great for the show, fans and Alex.  It was fun watching him nightly.

He will be missed!!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sophiamarie wrote:

Hugging her would've been extremely inappropriate.  He tapped her arm and then they high-fived.  A handshake would've been fine.

I can't believe anyone would think it would've been appropriate for him to hug a woman he didn't know very well.

I can't see myself rooting for her though.  My DH, a visiting friend and I all had the same opinion - she seemed rather stand-offish and a bit brusque in her demeanor and her response to Alex, when he asked her how she felt about going up against James.

She certainly doesn't have his charm.  It will be interesting to see how long she remains champion.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia  yes, brusque is the perfect word.  She really turned me off during that conversation.  It was like she couldn't give him a moment of recognition for what he'd accomplished.  I won't be rooting for her either Man Sad